Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question about timing on my set up. I have a 388 SBC with about 13:1 Cr with a 65 cc AFR head. The piston has a very small dome on it. I have been running 34* of timing locked in. No advance. The motor is on race gas, not alky. It also has a 6.0 rod, and not the 5.7

What kind of timing do you guys run in a set up like this? Am I in the ball park or does it need more timing? I don't want to bump it up to much and hurt something. N/A application....

Car has run 10.20's at 130 with minimal engine tuning. most of my gains were made with suspension tuning... Looking for a little more...

Any input or advice would be great.

Seth Hyatt

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Just a quick question about timing on my set up. I have a 388 SBC with about 13:1 Cr with a 65 cc AFR head. The piston has a very small dome on it. I have been running 34* of timing locked in. No advance. The motor is on race gas, not alky. It also has a 6.0 rod, and not the 5.7

What kind of timing do you guys run in a set up like this? Am I in the ball park or does it need more timing? I don't want to bump it up to much and hurt something. N/A application....

Car has run 10.20's at 130 with minimal engine tuning. most of my gains were made with suspension tuning... Looking for a little more...

Any input or advice would be great.

Seth Hyatt
Seth

With what what we have seen on the dyno and a good fuel curve we only need appox. 32 to 33 degrees of timing, but with a dome it may require a little more timing then what you re running.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Seth. I run a 432 sbc with 65cc chamber afr heads and a domed piston. I have used the domed Ross (13 to 1 ) now a custom JE at 14.8 to 1 and the motor has consistantly liked same timing. 32* max motor likes 30* on the dyno at 33* numbers started to drop . I believe that the head chamber dictates the timing but more qualified engine builders should probably chime in on this. Back in the small cubic inch days I had a 288 sbc that liked 50*

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same Combo but with a Brodix Track One head and it liked 40* of timing
A combo like mine Scott?

Also thanks for the input fellas... I will be headed to the track Sat if the weather is good. I need to change gears from a 4.56 to a 4.30 before I do any more tuning... I am crossing a little high right now @ 7800.

The air here is so good I will have to slow the car down on Sat for out points race....

Seth

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
My similar combo liked 34-38 degrees. I shot for 35 when timing it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts