Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question about timing on my set up. I have a 388 SBC with about 13:1 Cr with a 65 cc AFR head. The piston has a very small dome on it. I have been running 34* of timing locked in. No advance. The motor is on race gas, not alky. It also has a 6.0 rod, and not the 5.7

What kind of timing do you guys run in a set up like this? Am I in the ball park or does it need more timing? I don't want to bump it up to much and hurt something. N/A application....

Car has run 10.20's at 130 with minimal engine tuning. most of my gains were made with suspension tuning... Looking for a little more...

Any input or advice would be great.

Seth Hyatt

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
my 406 w/ afr's 13-1 on gas liked 38 been as high as 40 but it was an older afr if you have a new version with better chamber may need less, easy to test just go up 2 degrees 60 and mph will tell the tale

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Advance will change with cylinder head combustion chamber configuration and fuel not with cubes.
As a general rule with 23 deg heads I suggest you start with 34 BTDC. Learn to read the plugs then adjust fuel and timing from there.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
My similar combo ran good with 34-38 degrees. When I ran nitrous timing on accident(28 deg.), it slowed the car a couple tenths. I used 36 Aw a base and pulled 8 for a 200 shot. Worked nice but was probably conservative. Goodluck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts