Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My newly build 383 (twin turbo engine) has a used alum pan and pump. I inspected the pumps gears and it looks great. Now that the engine is running I noticed that the pump has 40 psi cold, and goes down to about 20 psi at idle when hot. As soon as I raise the rpm above idle the pressure rises fast to 40 psi and stays there for any further RPM increase.

I believe the oil pressure regulator on the pump needs to be shimmed. Is there any way to know roughly how much of a shim is needed? Its not fun getting to this pump.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind. I see my knowledge is about 20 years out of date. They sell springs with ratings. Guess its the winter project.

·
Registered
17,465 Posts
Nevermind. I see my knowledge is about 20 years out of date. They sell springs with ratings. Guess its the winter project.
Yep, every now and then I find myself going back to the early 70's because that's the first time I learned how to fix that problem....

While you're at it, make sure you set the dwell by adjusting the points and replace the condenser....;)

·
Registered
17,465 Posts
I hear a those dual points setups are pretty bad ass.....;)
Yep, takes TWO dwell meters to set them! :rolleyes:

I always bought the high performance set with the little felt pads that were oiled and rubbed the lobes to reduce friction and free up some extra HP!!!! Lubri-Points?

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, every now and then I find myself going back to the early 70's because that's the first time I learned how to fix that problem....

While you're at it, make sure you set the dwell by adjusting the points and replace the condenser....;)
Life is really good at reminding you of just how old you are!

Dual points FTMFW!!!!!

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A remote mount short filter, -10 lines 20w50.

I really think its the pressure relief because its a climb then a rock steady 40 from then on.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
put a long filter on it and put 10-30 oil in it, we turn ours to 8200 every pass never a oiling issue, been there done that, bet if you take the oil pump apart the gears will be blue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts