Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a mild build 383,, say around 450 hp what would be considered the pump of choice these days please?

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
For a mild build 383,, say around 450 hp what would be considered the pump of choice these days please?
Your basic Melling high volume 55 will work just fine for that app. No need to go all crazy with one. Just make sure you have the right pick up for the pan you are using. Check to make sure it is about ~3/8th's from the inside floor of the pan.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Melling has a display at the trade shows they go to that has a M55 and a Shark Tooth both mounted in a common tank of oil. They have handles attached to turn them. I could not believe the difference in effort required to turn them and the smoothness.. The Shark Tooth was about half the effort. Can't see any down side to it except maybe price.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,461 Posts
Melling has a display at the trade shows they go to that has a M55 and a Shark Tooth both mounted in a common tank of oil. They have handles attached to turn them. I could not believe the difference in effort required to turn them and the smoothness.. The Shark Tooth was about half the effort. Can't see any down side to it except maybe price.
I had a Titan pump in my engine years ago, man that thing turned so smoothly! Just too much pump for a Bracket Engine. Had to eventually put a normal Melling pump in there. Will look at the Sharktooth when I freshen it again.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
I'm sure it is, but have you blue printed a select pump, deburr the edges of the gears and pump bodies, they turn much smoother, not as smooth as a shark tooth, but it is a noticeable difference.
I just don't understand why they don't offer a STD volume one....

·
Registered
7,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the cost of the shark tooth is prohibitive,, but seemed interesting if I read correctly they have helical cut gears...

·
Registered
7,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the 10553 seems like the go, the clearances in this engine are on the low side of loose so I expect good oil control,, this engine holds good oil pressure and it has a Miloden HV pump at present.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
It's about the same between a HV and Std. volume pump, definite difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts