Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dinosaur Mechanic
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to look at a car for sale, and it had this mess on the passenger side around the deck area. It has brodix alum. heads and what appears to be molten aluminum sprayed out the front and on the water pump and fuel pump area. I didnt buy it because the owner just bought the car...... and I have no idea what is wrong with it without tearing it down. Can anyone tell me if they have seen this before? any ideas what might have happened? I posted this last night, but put it in the wrong section.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423298

·
Butch
8,209 Posts
I went to look at a car for sale, and it had this mess on the passenger side around the deck area. It has brodix alum. heads and what appears to be molten aluminum sprayed out the front and on the water pump and fuel pump area. I didnt buy it because the owner just bought the car...... and I have no idea what is wrong with it without tearing it down. Can anyone tell me if they have seen this before? any ideas what might have happened? I posted this last night, but put it in the wrong section.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423298
I have only seen anything like that one time, It had Alumi-Seal and a head gasket/deck of head was out of spec leaking that $hit

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
looks like some one may have used paint stiper to clean the paint from the block with maybe the heads on then tried to paint it and never cleaned it right the first time.... also over years aluminum will do some freaky things if left out side and even more if it saw road salt or live near salt water area ie ocean

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
did anything else turn you off about the car

·
Dinosaur Mechanic
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as far as running, the car would not idle, and when you revved it would backfire thru carb.
I know It looks like paint as it is silver, but whatever it is its tough........and a knife hardly touches it when you try and scrape it off

the car was just bought by the current owner at a auction, so he doesnt have any knowledge of it. At least thats his story...........

·
Dinosaur Mechanic
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont think it could be battery acid, unless the motor came from another car. The battery is in the trunk on this car.

·
Registered
16,918 Posts
carnage? carnage is when the guy at the starting line hands you 1 of your connecting rods off of the track

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
well if it needs some work and you have issues try to talk the guy down more ....you could get lucky with a good set up for cheap or a pig in the blanket it would be good if you could talk hime down leaving room to spend a lil cash to fix things up

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
not sure if u had this info already or not but it looks to have a bowtie raised runner intake on it so it my be worth it ....maybe ask the guy if he gives you a higher price if he is willing to pull the head off that side and see what the insides look like .... if it is good he may try to raise the price cause he may have been afraid of that as well

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Looks like somethings been applied to the manifold around the bolt area. And what ever it was ran down the front of the head and landed on the block just under the area. Is anybody else seeing this?

·
Dinosaur Mechanic
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes it looks like never sieze, but the crap is hard as concrete. the motor runs like crap, could be old gas, could be missing a couple piston tops.....
It wont run at low rpm, and when it revs sounds like it is missing a few cam lobes....backfires thru the carb.
I didnt get a pic and at first I thought the head was melted by the exhaust port also, but it was a notch for the dipstick tube.

does that stop leak stuff turn hard once it gets wet?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts