Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering grabbing another set of cylinder heads for my fathers car. Combo is a 400” sbc, 12.5:1 compression, currently has a smallish solid roller-256/[email protected]”, .672” lift, on a 106 LSA. Runs it with a super victor II, good stud mount rockers w/ girdles, and an 850 4150 carb from AED. It currently has a set of old brodix track 1 heads, std valve spacing. It’s getting a larger camshaft, and we were going to send the heads and intake out to have them ported, but are considering just selling these heads and buying something newer that perform better out of the box than the current heads. Considering the dart 230 and the AFR 220 race port. Both are currently available, won’t require new pistons and rockers, and are pretty comparable in price. Which would you use on a 7500rpm 400” engine?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Neither head has enough valve or mcsa for 7500 in 400 inches.I would want 2.150 valve and more csa than either of those heads offer.7500 in a 360-370 inch might work at afr specs.We did afr 220 head otb on a 383 for my nephew.It shut off like a light @7000.Both companies will say but the cfm is there.Well I'm telling you be prepared to beyond disappointed if that's your true goal.You could way over cam it but you better have low gear and 6900 stall or you will have one lazy turd.Under headed engs are never happy!!!!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
You be way better calling someone like spiere etc and get one of his 2.72 csa heads .Several peeps could help you meet goals.If otb heads what you after find 245 afr etc.They at least have some area.If my own personal deal I wouldnt put afr 220 head over 340 inches .

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like the problem right now is getting parts. If we could get an AFR 245 and a set of rockers, that’s what we’d do, but the stuff is just not available. What happened with your nephews 383 is where we’re at now, 67-6800 rpm and this thing is DONE. If I could get it to carry power another 5-600 rpm, it would make a huge difference in the way it would run.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Call spiere or profiler and see if any 176x castings available.They at least start at 2.125 valve.2.150 can go in them.Iirc they just had .200" long valve in them.Those should be available.Thats what we went to for 383 to get it to run decent.

Reactions: DualQuadDave

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
PROBABLY the best bang for the buck right now. Get the air flowing by 600 and keeps it there to 1.0"

This posted above post #5266

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Eric W talked about the AFR race port on a Video. The Dart idk if it was spoken on. 63 Vette said it. Match the CSA to the CID and rpm. 220 cc isn't gonna cut it for 7500 rpm and 400 cubes

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I have a very similar combo to what you are running now, but with AFR 220's with what ever they call their highest level of porting. It made max power (667hp) at 6900. I'm not sure if the heads or the cam limited the RPM. In my case I'm happy enough. I don't know if that's of any use to you.

Chris.
That same head would make that hp @8000 on 360 inch and be faster at track.If your happy ,fine.But there is no reason with 400 inch to not be making 750 hp with tdays 23 heads.We made that in the 90s with 23 heads.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
If 400 inch I wouldnt look at a head under 2.65 mcsa,doesnt make a fuck what cc or cfm it flows.Area is king if 7500 rpm is expected!!!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is hp goal on 400, op? What et,what weight?
If we could make 700 fwhp with the ability to spray up to 200hp, we’d be very happy. It doesn’t make anywhere near that now. Goal is to be able to easily run 5.70s at 2950. It’s only been 6.70-6.80 with the current parts combo (which admittedly sucks at the moment). The current converter is not helping either, but that’s on the list as well for this years changes. We were hoping to be able to get there without having to buy pistons and rockers, but it seems it may be tough to do. I am still considering sending the current track 1s in for Eric’s porting, but the turnaround time is a killer. We’d have to sit out this season. If I could buy a set that would meet our goals, and have them in a month or so, we’d be able to race this year. I could also sell our current heads and put the $$$ towards something better suited.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
You have the parts now to do that? Back in 2001 my shop did a 11-1 pump gas 406 with ported track 1 and TAD bit smaller street solid roller cam. Made 653 @ 6700 with the nitrous cam (sprayed it with 350Hp big shot). SHOULD have made more on dyno as they used 118 octane.

Now as for changing heads, probably wise but most are months out too? I just tried to get a set and was told 8 months? Looked before Christmas at some China heads and they were March or April if I ordered end of November?????

DART seems to be having all sorts of supply chain issues. AFR I don't know. Profiler seems to have products though as per the Profiler guy in the Ford head thread......

Some food for thought.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
Oh and don't forget, head change will be cam change too. Then you have that supply chain issues.

Chris Straub has been telling guys to order in October if they wanted it to race in 2022????

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
You be way better calling someone like spiere etc and get one of his 2.72 csa heads .Several peeps could help you meet goals.If otb heads what you after find 245 afr etc.They at least have some area.If my own personal deal I wouldnt put afr 220 head over 340 inches .
If we could make 700 fwhp with the ability to spray up to 200hp, we’d be very happy. It doesn’t make anywhere near that now. Goal is to be able to easily run 5.70s at 2950. It’s only been 6.70-6.80 with the current parts combo (which admittedly sucks at the moment). The current converter is not helping either, but that’s on the list as well for this years changes. We were hoping to be able to get there without having to buy pistons and rockers, but it seems it may be tough to do. I am still considering sending the current track 1s in for Eric’s porting, but the turnaround time is a killer. We’d have to sit out this season. If I could buy a set that would meet our goals, and have them in a month or so, we’d be able to race this year. I could also sell our current heads and put the $$$ towards something better suited.
I think you can get close to that with those heads if you have someone do some work to them and equally the intake. I have 220s on my car so.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts