Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a complete SBC 350 + .030 engine here going into a street rod. Upon inspection found the block is cracked below the deck on both sides. Frozen I guess. The engine only has 500 miles on a rebuild and rest of this engine seems to be usable. Have a virgin block 10066036 standard bore 4 bolt main. Would this be worth boring and transferring the parts to it? It says Mexico on it.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would like to know what vehicles these blocks came in and what years they were made? The date code on this block is not readable. Would prefer to use a 4 bolt 010 block if can find one locally in east central Illinois.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Have a complete SBC 350 + .030 engine here going into a street rod. Upon inspection found the block is cracked below the deck on both sides. Frozen I guess. The engine only has 500 miles on a rebuild and rest of this engine seems to be usable. Have a virgin block 10066036 standard bore 4 bolt main. Would this be worth boring and transferring the parts to it? It says Mexico on it.
I have had 2 blocks like that .We ground crack areas and welded them.Used moroso sealer in them and ran them for years.Both are still going.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Would like to know what vehicles these blocks came in and what years they were made? The date code on this block is not readable. Would prefer to use a 4 bolt 010 block if can find one locally in east central Illinois.
Like was mentioned sonic test is key before you using that block. Stopped buying those blocks as they would not pass a sonic test have gone to the one piece block and use the two piece seal adapter those blocks have been fine. P/N 1015123 Those 036 block are the Mexican replacement blocks for the 2 piece rear main seal blocks.

I like the comment .030 should be fine obvious he does not own a sonic tester

·
Registered
33,043 Posts
Like was mentioned sonic test is key before you using that block. Stopped buying those blocks as they would not pass a sonic test have gone to the one piece block and use the two piece seal adapter those blocks have been fine. P/N 1015123 Those 036 block are the Mexican replacement blocks for the 2 piece rear main seal blocks.

I like the comment .030 should be fine obvious he does not own a sonic tester
It’s a street rod. Thousands out there running .030 over. My daughters coupe has one in there going on over 25 years. He ain’t running D/Altered.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
It’s a street rod. Thousands out there running .030 over. My daughters coupe has one in there going on over 25 years. He ain’t running D/Altered.
It does not matter to you but to me I am not going to spend some ones money on machining a block or building an engine if it does not pass a sonic I have seen way to many cracked and thin cylinders over my years of building engines.

I build a lot of expensive circle track engines over the years and I am glad I could afford a sonic tester and not guess at a block and tell if its good or not. I wish I could base all my info on just one block that went 25 years.

Randy how many blocks do you machine a year ?????

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. Found a virgin "010" block. Will get it tested before proceeding.

·
Registered
33,043 Posts
It does not matter to you but to me I am not going to spend some ones money on machining a block or building an engine if it does not pass a sonic I have seen way to many cracked and thin cylinders over my years of building engines.

I build a lot of expensive circle track engines over the years and I am glad I could afford a sonic tester and not guess at a block and tell if its good or not. I wish I could base all my info on just one block that went 25 years.

Randy how many blocks do you machine a year ?????
I machine zero, as you know. But I’ve had dozens machined in my lifetime. I always handpicked the blocks as to squareness, and sent em to the machine shops. Had early model 283 deuce blocks bored .090 to .125 over. 307’s, 327’s, and 350’s bored from .020 to .080 over. Ran em for years. Back when there were no bow tie blocks, or were scarce. I ain’t actually arguing with you. You are correct, it’s better to sonic check them, I agree, but most street guys don’t. Maybe most machine shops today do. I’ve ran mostly nothing but bow tie blocks since around 1985, so today, good machine shops probably always check. I still think most square blocks are safe for a street Rod, but that’s just me. Now, cracking in the mains is something we always checked.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Hey Carl, we all know you have been building engines for a million years, what did you do before you had a sonic tester?
Asking for a friend...

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I machine zero, as you know. But I’ve had dozens machined in my lifetime. I always handpicked the blocks as to squareness, and sent em to the machine shops. Had early model 283 deuce blocks bored .090 to .125 over. 307’s, 327’s, and 350’s bored from .020 to .080 over. Ran em for years. Back when there were no bow tie blocks, or were scarce. I ain’t actually arguing with you. You are correct, it’s better to sonic check them, I agree, but most street guys don’t. Maybe most machine shops today do. I’ve ran mostly nothing but bow tie blocks since around 1985, so today, good machine shops probably always check. I still think most square blocks are safe for a street Rod, but that’s just me. Now, cracking in the mains is something we always checked.
When you run a machine shop you can't guess at things like you do. I go a step further to make sure they know what they have for cylinder walls instead of guessing. Guess at cylinder wall thickness is unacceptable and not very professional IMHO

·
Registered
33,043 Posts
When you run a machine shop you can't guess at things like you do. I go a step further to make sure they know what they have for cylinder walls instead of guessing. Guess at cylinder wall thickness is unacceptable and not very professional IMHO
Works for me. Carry on.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts

·
Registered
33,043 Posts
Giving bad advice and guessing on cylinder wall thickness seriously . LMAO

I hope I get as smart as you. Anyone knows you can get away with it. Anyone with a
small block Chevy knows you can bore any of them .030 and be fine. But you’ve discovered that’s not true. Wow! Lots of people are screwed. Can you tell em how long they got before it disintegrates? I think you just want to argue for your own ego. I didn’t start this 3rd grade argument. You just wanted to strut a bit, and that’s fine. But next time have a real reason to argue. It adds so much more to the discussion. Pick something that actually matters. Not street rods with .030 over 350’s. And again, it’s fine to want to sonic test, but in this instance, it ain’t gonna cause a huge problem. So, sonic test some blocks and get a stiff drink. Damn! I’ll bet you’re a peach to work for.
Try and bring up something worth wasting time on. It’s a big plus. If a sbc is so thin it can’t go .030 over, it’s probably already blown the side outta the block, and never made it to the salvage yard. You need to find a better place to pick up used blocks. He ain’t running a 900 hp Comp engine.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I hope I get as smart as you. Anyone knows you can get away with it. Anyone with a
small block Chevy knows you can bore any of them .030 and be fine. But you’ve discovered that’s not true. Wow! Lots of people are screwed. Can you tell em how long they got before it disintegrates? I think you just want to argue for your own ego. I didn’t start this 3rd grade argument. You just wanted to strut a bit, and that’s fine. But next time have a real reason to argue. It adds so much more to the discussion. Pick something that actually matters. Not street rods with .030 over 350’s. And again, it’s fine to want to sonic test, but in this instance, it ain’t gonna cause a huge problem. So, sonic test some blocks and get a stiff drink. Damn! I’ll bet you’re a peach to work for.
Try and bring up something worth wasting time on. It’s a big plus. If a sbc is so thin it can’t go .030 over, it’s probably already blown the side outta the block, and never made it to the salvage yard. You need to find a better place to pick up used blocks. He ain’t running a 900 hp Comp engine.
Randy you have no clue what your talking about you don't own a sonic tester and you don't do what I do for a living. I have a lot of blocks setting here that did not test good for a performance build.at .030 over. AGAIN YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mark at .030 you will be just fine for a long time. We've used a bunch of these in a local dirt series and never had a problem.

·
Registered
33,043 Posts
Randy you have no clue what your talking about you don't own a sonic tester and you don't do what I do for a living. I have a lot of blocks setting here that did not test good for a performance build.at .030 over. AGAIN YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT
You’re sadly mistaken. It’s a street Rod. My, I am totally ignorant, and very, very, lucky. I haven’t EVER seen one, not one sbc having a problem .030 over. In any street Rod. I seen one 350 .060 over do 850 hp NA. And it never failed after 4 years. It was sonic tested, but .060 over, with extreme hp. No ones gonna convince me that you can’t safely bore ANY sbc, be it a 265” a 283” a 305” a 307” a 327” or a 350” that can’t go .030 over on the street safely. But, that’s just me. Most old blocks had more then .015 ring groove in them when overhauled after 100,000 miles. Damn!

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
You’re sadly mistaken. It’s a street Rod. My, I am totally ignorant, and very, very, lucky. I haven’t EVER seen one, not one sbc having a problem .030 over. In any street Rod. I seen one 350 .060 over do 850 hp NA. And it never failed after 4 years. It was sonic tested, but .060 over, with extreme hp. No ones gonna convince me that you can’t safely bore ANY sbc, be it a 265” a 283” a 305” a 307” a 327” or a 350” that can’t go .030 over on the street safely. But, that’s just me. Most old blocks had more then .015 ring groove in them when overhauled after 100,000 miles. Damn!
Randy I don't guess at cylinder wall thickness PERIOD I have a lot of blocks here that are not good for a performance build at standard bore. You give really ill advice here, Buy a SONIC TESTER instead of guessing how good the cylinder walls are.

850 on a stock block YA RIGHT YOUR ALWAYS dreaming.

I wish I could base alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll my info on a couple of blocks.

How many blocks do you deal with in a year and how many do you machine and sell to customers???????????????????????????????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts