Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever have an engine from hell? Got my issue with the top end oiling fixed and moved on to the next issue. Pulley alignment. Lacked approximately 1/8 from lining up and was apparent when I installed the balancer. Took pan and timing cover off after pulling and checking what i could. Don't for the life of me see what the issue is. Everything goes together good. Zero burrs. Pulled timing gear off and can't see where there's anything either. Once again any thoughts are welcomed! I had the exact opposite problem on a Vortec once when I removed the the Crank sensor reluctor which I fixed with a regular old style balancer. They appear roughly .100 longer which, if I remember right was the thickness of the piece I removed. Is it possible this engine needs a later balancer? The balancer I'm using, PowerBond SFI, measures the same as the old style engines.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
all timing chain gearsets are not the same and can vary in thickness if you don't find any other problems you can move the water pump hub on the shaft, I do it all the time.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found half of it on hub on crank between gear and 1st journal. I don't have to worry about water pump, just alternator. Low mount kit I used before, I can make a new piece to move it out pretty easy just don't care for it to be out that far. Guess I could take some off the balancer, anybody ever do that? Don't even see an option for a shorter one if you were going to run the reluctor on a Vortec setup.
Thanks for your help stuska1.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My stroke kit for my cleveland was for a windsor style block, came with a spacer that goes between the snout and balancer. Even with the spacer I had to put another spacer between the balancer and pulley. Not sure if the second spacer was because of the balancer that came with the kit or not, can't remember. Using original 1970ish brackets, pulleys and v belt, never had a problem after installing spacer.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Measure from the face of the crank gear to the nose of the crank and record the measurement.
Measure the thickness of the balancer from the face that contacts the gear out to the front face of the balancer and record that dimension too....
Then press the balancer back on and measure from balancer face to crank nose and do the math to see if it is even pressing on all the way.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put it back together. Everything is seated, gears against hub fine. May take balancer back off and shorten snout after I run it and break it in. Made a new bracket for the alternator that will compensate.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The difference between a balancer for non vortec and vortec would be the addition of a trigger wheel- which the vortec hub is shortened accordingly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts