Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would it take to run a sbc cam in an lt1 block?????? looking for a custom grind nitrous cam for a 355 and can buy a new one but figured someone might have one laying around that would work if i can run a sbc cam.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
need to switch timing sets, and timing cover.
No you don't.

If you are currently running a non-vented opti and still run the stock water pump setup it will bolt right up.

If you are running a vented opti, then you need to replace the dowel pin in the sbc cam with a longer dowel pin for the vented opti drive.

Another option is to ditch the factory water pump and go with an electric pump, which then allows you to run a standard sbc timing chain set, but you must go with a vented opti, since you lose the timing gear with the splined output for the non-vented opti.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
No you don't.

If you are currently running a non-vented opti and still run the stock water pump setup it will bolt right up.

If you are running a vented opti, then you need to replace the dowel pin in the sbc cam with a longer dowel pin for the vented opti drive.

Another option is to ditch the factory water pump and go with an electric pump, which then allows you to run a standard sbc timing chain set, but you must go with a vented opti, since you lose the timing gear with the splined output for the non-vented opti.
Bolt pattern is on a smaller circle with the Lt1 cams vs. the 1955 to 87 type sbc stuff. You need the correct timing set.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bolt pattern is on a smaller circle with the Lt1 cams vs. the 1955 to 87 type sbc stuff. You need the correct timing set.
I was told that any 88 model up sbc can would work. I was fixing to order a custom grind for the car and was skimming to see of I could find a used cam before I ordered a new one.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'm running a custom LT1 camshaft from LSMENG.com, it's bolted to a Cloyes double roller sbc timing set.

An LT1 camshaft has the exact bolt pattern for any sbc factory roller camshaft.

·
Registered
805 Posts
All you need to purchase is a cam core for your year model of LT1/LT4 and then use a timing set for a 87-01 roller cam SBC. You can use your factory timing cover, although you will need to use a freeze plug to block off the opening for the water pump drive. This is a very simple and easy conversion for your build.

·
Registered
805 Posts
100% wrong.
The LT1 step-nosed cam has a smaller bolt pattern then the standard non-stepnosed cam.
You can run the old style cam, but you need to switch to an old style timing set.
Mike the last time I checked a SBC with a factory hyd roller cam was a step nose core........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I gotcha. He said any SBC "factory" roller camshaft, and I was thinking any SBC roller camshaft.

joelster was thinking the OP wanted to put in another factory roller camshaft in his LT1, not a standard SBC roller.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts