21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Cool. I use the coil w the crane kit.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I prefer the relay because it eliminates any voltage drop from the ignition switch or fuse block.

When multiple accessories are on, I've seen voltage from the fuse block drop pretty significantly.
I run my accessories off relays and direct to battery for their power. So I haven’t had the issue.
As we know many ways to things.
And I like to learn others ideas that work.
Good to hear how others do it.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I run my accessories off relays and direct to battery for their power. So I haven’t had the issue.
As we know many ways to things.
And I like to learn others ideas that work.
Good to hear how others do it.
I was referring to things like headlights, wipers, heater blower, etc. Most older cars power those items through the fuse panel without relays.

·
Registered
734 Posts
BBMark,
Referring to my post #12, a typical 30 amp Bosch relay WILL work fine as I described. Done it more times than I care to remember. What you may not realise: the nominal '6v' you refer to is the supply to the original coil. The Bosch relay has a coil resistance of approx 70 ohms. Making an assumption that the original ballast resistor [ or resistance wire ] is 1.5 ohm, & nominal 12v, the relay gets 11.76 v, not 6v!! More than enough voltage for it to energise.

These ign systems are inductive, so more voltage, more spark energy. That is why it is a BAD move to supply the ign from the existing fuse box because there will invariably be some voltage drop [ loss ] through the wiring harness AND from other components drawing off the system. Using a $5 relay as I described ensures max voltage to your ign system & max spark energy. Both myself & a mate run 0.070" plug gaps with HEI wired as above, with Iridium plugs, mate takes his 455 to 6500 rpm.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My small block '67 Camaro got a Mallory Unilite conversion 20 something years ago when I got the car and I've never had a single issue with it. I did upgrade to an MSD 6 a few years later.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
My small block '67 Camaro got a Mallory Unilite conversion 20 something years ago when I got the car and I've never had a single issue with it. I did upgrade to an MSD 6 a few years later.

You've had better luck than most people that I know with Unilites. Most had so many module failures that they replaced them with something different. Seen them used with and without CD boxes and with the Mallory inline filter, didn't matter.

On the other hand, a Mallory MBI is probably one of the best distributors that I've ever seen.

I know of one that went underwater in a hurricane. They just dried it out and sprayed it with WD-40. That was 2006, it still works. This car originally had a Unilite, now the owner wouldn't have anything other than a MBI.

Another friend has had one in his car since the early 90s, still has the huge Mallory coil. Never a issues and he drives it all the time, even goes on road trips with it.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
They made a dandy crank trigger with a home made bracket off the block and a aluminum disc bolted to the crank damper. with 4 slots in it. I made one when they first came out before MSD had one. Yes they did fail, but only cost $35 for the module.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You've had better luck than most people that I know with Unilites. Most had so many module failures that they replaced them with something different. Seen them used with and without CD boxes and with the Mallory inline filter, didn't matter.

On the other hand, a Mallory MBI is probably one of the best distributors that I've ever seen.

I know of one that went underwater in a hurricane. They just dried it out and sprayed it with WD-40. That was 2006, it still works. This car originally had a Unilite, now the owner wouldn't have anything other than a MBI.

Another friend has had one in his car since the early 90s, still has the huge Mallory coil. Never a issues and he drives it all the time, even goes on road trips with it.
I've had that thing for many years, it was actually in a small block Vega before the Camaro. Maybe I got the thing when they were still well made, don't know. I probably bought it around 1990ish. They do have to be run with a resistor, full voltage will kill them quick.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
There are a lot better ignition system out there than an HEI. I would choose one of them.
See posts 20 and 27. He went with a full Pertronix system. The rest is just a discussion.

And while I agree that there are better systems out there, the HEI does have several appealing aspects. While I'm personally not a fan of the HEI system as a whole, I see the draw.

Being magnetic pickup, I keep a pre-wired HEI module and TFI coil around. It is a quick "plug and play" setup, should my MSD fail. Other than a distributor failure, I can swap in a complete working ignition system in a few minutes.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts