Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the market for a new 4340 crank for my 406,350 mains 3.750 stroke. I'm looking at the Callies Compstar, Manley, or Lunati. Which one is the best in this price range ? Where are the Manleys made ?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did a new motor with the Callies Magnum XL....BEAUTIFUL crank!
I like the Callies too, just need to keep it under $700 if i can.

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
Eagle if turned to correct jounal sizing

Check with Mark O'Neal on a Probe Industries 4340 crank, The Probe part number is 10047 and is 3.75" stroke for the 400 main size with 2.100" rod journal and is set up for a min rod length of 5.7"

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The lower budget american made 4340 cranks, I would go Callies and Lunati. All Callies cranks are made the same way. What differs them from product line is the options you get. Each step up has better options until you get to the XL which is a killer crank for real high rpm engines. Lunati I believe does the same thing. I would look into the Dragon Slayer from Callies. Awesome crank and they can be had for under a grand. It is worth the extra couple hundred bux. I have used alot of these cranks and they can handle some power. I am sure there some other manufacturers that offer decent cranks for the money, these are just my preferences..Just my .02

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Callies Dragon Slayer in my 588... Nice piece. The CompStars are a nice crank for the money. We've seen the Eagles take some serious abuse too.

Lemme know if I can help. We are direct with Callies and Eagle.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Right on Mills...I started using the Dragon Slayer way back when they were only $695, before all the increases on steel. I would still rather the DS over the Eagle for the extra couple Benjamins..;) The Compstar is nice as well. Eagle has gotten a ton better in quality, but apples to oranges with a base model Callies..

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
Right on Mills...I started using the Dragon Slayer way back when they were only $695, before all the increases on steel. I would still rather the DS over the Eagle for the extra couple Benjamins..;) The Compstar is nice as well. Eagle has gotten a ton better in quality, but apples to oranges with a base model Callies..
I found where we sold an 8896 Holley in 1999/2000 for a 406, We price matched Summit Racing LOL $483.95 LOL

Try to buy it for that WD now :rolleyes:

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
Kris,

I want to try a Compstar

I saw one at the machine shop, journal sizing was dead nuts on and I told him to call me and let me know how it balanced. The target was on the money

BTW, In my opinion Eagle has a better target bob weight than Scat. Also Eagle cranks hold up very well if you true the journals up, Same goes for Ohio Crankshaft

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Kris,

I want to try a Compstar

I saw one at the machine shop, journal sizing was dead nuts on and I told him to call me and let me know how it balanced. The target was on the money

BTW, In my opinion Eagle has a better target bob weight than Scat. Also Eagle cranks hold up very well if you true the journals up, Same goes for Ohio Crankshaft

Agreed 100% Butch. I haven't used Ohio's stuff so I won't comment on them, but you are right. The stuff still needs to be checked regardless, but the Eagle has come along way. x2 on the Eagle over Scat as far as balancing. We have had to add Mallory to Scat stuff when Eagle didn't need any and that was for the same exact crank. The ONLY drawback to the Callies Dragon slayer is, when run with a Lunati Pro Mod rod, which is my favorite setup for a low buck deal for the power it handles, they need Mallory, even with 4.00" stroke stuff.. and that is not even including grinding the counterweights down..which then needs a ton of Mallory. Gets real expensive.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Callies Compstars are very nice for size/stroke/ index/straightness/ and overall Quality. They are done in-house @ Callies here in Ohio. Have used-worked with 3-all good. The only thing that makes them less expensive is the FORGING is done overseas. I was told in Japan/not China? Will get this question answered this week as I am going to factory to PU new Nostaliga Top Fuel crank they manf. d for us.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
All nice products you are looking at and maybe look at Howard's cranks also. They are machined by Callies and a US forging.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kris,

I want to try a Compstar

I will never use anything with Scat wrote on it, thats the reason i got a deal on this motor, broke right behind the timing gear. Glad it broke though or i would'nt have got this deal !! LOL. Butch, this is a 350 main Little M also. Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
I ran a compstar 4" stroke crank a few years ago in a 15* 434 that made 840- I would highly recommend the compstar cranks, it was dead nuts on every journal - When i pulled it apart after 2yrs the bearings looked liked they had just been put in!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ran a compstar 4" stroke crank a few years ago in a 15* 434 that made 840- I would highly recommend the compstar cranks, it was dead nuts on every journal - When i pulled it apart after 2yrs the bearings looked liked they had just been put in!
Good to hear, Thanks

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I also have the compstar 3.750 stroke. have been in the motor three times due to burnt pistons and bearings still look new.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
just tried ordering a compstar crank and they said they were on backorder for like three months.... may hve just been getting jerked around don't know... something bout the forgery overseas where they come from before being finished up here in the states

1 - 20 of 48 Posts