Yellow Bullet Forums banner

121 - 140 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Not sure how to do multiple quotes anymore.........

So which is it? A GM Bowtie Block which is worth saving, or an old POS stock block destine for the scrap metal yard?

I have to assume it is a GM Bowtie Block, 184 I believe? Four bolt mains, splayed outers?
Yes Sir Correct -184 Bowtie four bolt main splayed outer mains.

·
Idiot Savant
164,456 Posts
I think I have heard that the Molnar stuff is Chinese. So some of that stuff can be expected with cheap parts. Might have been a mistake by the builder and not enough clearance too. Hard to tell by the pics
It's easy to tell by the pics. It spun a bearing, that's why the big end is black.

99.9% of engine failures are caused the the tuner, the driver, or the engine builder.........in that order.

But, do NOT tell the drivers. They all think they should died only by crucifixion.

·
Idiot Savant
164,456 Posts
China h-beam rods going to eventually fatigue. I seen em tear in half for no reason.

I bought a set of used Lentz for my LS2 i'm building. I will trust used nascar rods over chinese. especially at 8000rpm n/a.
I've seen rods that look exactly like these from every single manufacturer that ever made rods. From Cat to Carillo.....we can't make parts racers can't break.

·
FHRITP
50,027 Posts
It's easy to tell by the pics. It spun a bearing, that's why the big end is black.

99.9% of engine failures are caused the the tuner, the driver, or the engine builder.........in that order.

But, do NOT tell the drivers. They all think they should died only by crucifixion.
I don’t think you read through the whole thread he mentioned the bearing wasn’t spun. But your spot on with the diagnosis it’s never the manufacturer’s fault LOL

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
The big end of the rod is black from heat. What he said doesn't really figure in.
It did not spin the bearing even Molnar has agreed to that.
Tom Molnar and Ed have told me they are puzzled with the rod failure and are further reviewing the part and will contact me next week.
Steve

·
Registered
360 Posts
I broke an Oliver rod in four pieces 20 years ago. Oliver sent it to an independent lab for inspection. They ended up giving me a new set of rods. That was nice but I had a block with the friggen sides and valley blown out of it. A bent and beat up cam. A fucked up set of heads. I think the only thing that wasn't beat up or broken were the rockers and the intake manifold. This was only one season on my 565 in 2000. I guess I'm saying " It coulda been worse" Steve. Good Luck Brother

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I broke an Oliver rod in four pieces 20 years ago. Oliver sent it to an independent lab for inspection. They ended up giving me a new set of rods. That was nice but I had a block with the friggen sides and valley blown out of it. A bent and beat up cam. A fucked up set of heads. I think the only thing that wasn't beat up or broken were the rockers and the intake manifold. This was only one season on my 565 in 2000. I guess I'm saying " It coulda been worse" Steve. Good Luck Brother
Right on brother!! I appreciate your input. Hope all is well with you and your family!

Steve

·
Idiot Savant
164,456 Posts
Spoken like a true chinese rod salesman

Hahahahaha
Can't keep parts inside the block, I take it?...... :p

ps...I sell whatever the customer is willing to pay for. If you want an all American 428W Ford kit, just send me $6,500.00 and I'll make it happen.

·
Idiot Savant
164,456 Posts
It did not spin the bearing even Molnar has agreed to that.
Tom Molnar and Ed have told me they are puzzled with the rod failure and are further reviewing the part and will contact me next week.
Steve

Why is the big end of that rod black? It's not a shadow.

I'll contact Tom.

·
Idiot Savant
164,456 Posts
Just bought a set of the Molnar power adder rods. Thought they were a step up from Eagle/Scat.:oops:
They are. Don't worry about it.

For that matter I am intimately familiar with a 1,700+ HP turbo car that ran the same set of Eagle rods for years. As I repeatedly say...engines are broken by tuners, poor maintenance, drivers, and engine builders.....in that order. Keep your tune right and you'll be fine. Screw the pooch and nothing will save you.

Ben calls me every Monday uncomplaining about quality and needing parts.

John calls me every 27 years, complaining because his parts only lasted 27 years.

Be like John.

121 - 140 of 241 Posts