Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to share this with all. Went to a private test n tune Saturday at No Problem raceway this was going to the first pass in my truck since I traded for it in March. Pulled into the water box started a burn out rpm’s never exceeded 6500 rpm according to my data logger. Look at the pictures and how well Molnar rods perform!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I think I have heard that the Molnar stuff is Chinese. So some of that stuff can be expected with cheap parts. Might have been a mistake by the builder and not enough clearance too. Hard to tell by the pics

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I was told last night from a engine builder that the Molnar stuff originated from China and is machined here. Data showed when the engine broke it had 60 lbs of oil pressure. I traded my 57 for this truck and this was the first trip out with it first burn out !
anyways time to spend money and move forward.
Steve

·
Banned
6,241 Posts
China h-beam rods going to eventually fatigue. I seen em tear in half for no reason.

I bought a set of used Lentz for my LS2 i'm building. I will trust used nascar rods over chinese. especially at 8000rpm n/a.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Might be the shadow- tonight when I get home from work I will get good pictures. I was tired yesterday afternoon once I got the engine out and apart old man was run down plus I am a one man operation lol!!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look close at the pic with the piston and partial rod sitting on the block it shows no signs of being burnt ( the broken one)

·
Registered
16,197 Posts
How does the saying go? A bad day racing is better than a good day working? That really sucks. Sorry to see.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
The rod didn't fail...it spun a bearing. That's indicated by the discoloration of the rod end....I had the same issue in my old engine when it blew....not a rod problem...mine ended up being the bearings I was using...

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The engine has Clevite bearings is what I seen last night I will get a picture of the broken rod that is on two pieces of the bearings and the rod that looks burnt. Appreciate it .

Steve

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
From what I have seen Molnar rods are a step up from Scat and Eagle, which are also Chinese forgings. They are just a latter design with some improvements learned over time. I personally have 2 BBC engines with Molnar rods and cranks. If you do think after investigation there was a rod issue, I suggest you contact Tom Molnar directly in Michigan. He will honestly help you find the correct answer. Sorry for your bad luck.

1 - 20 of 241 Posts