Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor has maybe 500 miles on it. Has 6-8 lbs at 160 degrees. Wen I first crank it up it has 40lbs.

I pulled the intake and cut the filter no signs of metal! Any ideas??

Has a mellon hv oil pump.

Oil is straight 50 wt valvoline.

Acdelco oil filter- ph454

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Did you try replacing the filter ? There have been problems with those filters. Try another oil filter by-pass,the part that bolts to the block.The other possibility is it broke the rear cap or something happened to the pick up.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
i had 2 frams come apart only held like 15-20 no matter what

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
That is the wrong oil filter for as SBC. PF-1218 is the CORRECT filter for a SBC... That 454 filter is for the newer 8.1L engine.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry wasn't thinking its the 1218.

Wen I replace the filter, the oil pressure is steady at 20-25 psi.

I tried by passing it and it kills the filter even faster.

Any ideas to get the oil pressure up?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's a good filter to run? Besides something like a system one.

·
I like IceCream
11,026 Posts
Wix 51061, or the Napa 1061. Same filter. I run the Wix51060r. It is there race filter. Are you getting your readings from a mechanical guage, or electric guage.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mechanical gauge.

I thought there could of been air on the line so I cracked it and still the same. Nothings leaking.

I'm gonna try another filter like one u recommend.

Motor is still running strong the et has fallen off and it still burns the tires at 50mph onthe street. Lol

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
your seeing 6 to 8 lbs at idle and 40 lbs at rpm .....what rpm ?

you may have a windage problem , what kind of pan you using ? how many quarts is it , you may have to much oil in it , try pulling a quart

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
chevyIIheavy: at 5000rpms the oil pressure is above 40lbs. Im using a stock sbc oil pan. it holds 6 quarts.

wen i first crank it and its cold i have 40lbs, wen the motor gets warm around 160 degrees it has 6-8lbs.

cruising around town I dont go past about 3000rpms which is 65-70mph. at this rpm it has 24lbs.

The oil pressure climbs with the rpms, just dont like seeing it at such a low pressure idling 1000rpm.

I think it has something to do with the filter becasue the last time I changed it, the oil pressure increased.

had this problem before I refreshed the motor just trying to figure out how to get it to increase.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Never had a problem with Delco filters. I think I would pull the pan check the pump and take a look at things. I never like to see less than 25psi at idle hot on my SBs.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Get a different mech gauge and screw in the the fitting on the back of the block and verify your pressure,, just to make sure, then if you have 6-8 PSI at idle you need to pull it out and start looking, ?You said it was doing this before you freshend the motor, did you replace the oil pump ??? is the pickup loose in the pump inlet and sucking air ?? What oil pan is on the engine,,? What are the beaing clearances on the rods and mains ? what is the distance between the pan and the pickup ?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Get a different mech gauge and screw in the the fitting on the back of the block and verify your pressure,, just to make sure, then if you have 6-8 PSI at idle you need to pull it out and start looking, ?You said it was doing this before you freshend the motor, did you replace the oil pump ??? is the pickup loose in the pump inlet and sucking air ?? What oil pan is on the engine,,? What are the beaing clearances on the rods and mains ? what is the distance between the pan and the pickup ?
X2 way to many things it can be ..

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
As mentioned I would try a wix filter and new gauge before you pull it ..
And I would also put a pipe plug in the bye pass where the filter bolts on

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The crank has alot of clearance. It was built by a local engine builder before and same thing.

Might be because of too much clearance??
The pump was brand new.

What's a good clearance for the pickup to pan?

I can drop the pan with the motor still in the truck, so that wouldn't be a big deal

·
Registered
337 Posts
The crank has alot of clearance. It was built by a local engine builder before and same thing.

Might be because of too much clearance??
The pump was brand new.

What's a good clearance for the pickup to pan?

I can drop the pan with the motor still in the truck, so that wouldn't be a big deal
Sounds like you have a .010 under crank on mains with std bearings. (don't ask me how i know)

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Never had a problem with Delco filters. I think I would pull the pan check the pump and take a look at things. I never like to see less than 25psi at idle hot on my SBs.

Thats funny as i have seen many of them collapse,,,, they have platic inside.........it isn't the pressure to worry about as much as the volume.........a fresh paper filter flows around 6 -8 gpm,,, system one style filters flow around 26-30 gpm...,
never siezes to amaze me people will spend thousands of dollars on a motor and not use a good filter ( system 1 ) etc.....

buy a good filter, they pay for themselves in a yr, maybe quicker depending on oil changes, flow more volume of oil, which the motor needs depending on clearances...etc

to the op,,, if you have huge oil clearances and a stock type pan with a cheap filter, you ARE ASKING FOR ISSUES,,

mains and rods need not be over .0025 clearance

i would try the filter first along with another gauge,, if it doesn't help you may have to pull the pan and check things out

1 - 20 of 104 Posts