Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm want to put a 400 in my S10, everywhere I look I read that a 509 block two bolt main 400 is what I need, why? What is different with it vs other two bolt main blocks and a 4 bolt main 400?

·
Registered
682 Posts
509 blocks have pretty thick main webs in them. They can be fitted with aftermarket splayed bolt 4-bolt main caps if you're really trying to make some steam but just in 2-bolt form with ARP main studs they're good for 600-700 hp, presuming the rotating assembly is balanced and the combo has a good tuneup in it.

They aren't quite as strong as a GMPP bowtie block but they are a stout piece. If you can pick up one for a decent price they are a good buy. Splayed 4-bolt caps (presuming it sonic checks) and they'll hold 1,000 hp.

·
Moderater
15,092 Posts
I have a real nice one that I would take $400 for. The cam bore is dead center. Standard bore.

·
Maderator
16,256 Posts
I have ran many of them..... I lost a head gasket at the shift on a 509 block and it cut the block pretty bad, it was mid season and i took the entire thing and put it in a 4 bolt block because I had it.... it lasted 100 passes and split right down the middle. Split it wide open so far it blew the water pump off lol

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I have ran many of them..... I lost a head gasket at the shift on a 509 block and it cut the block pretty bad, it was mid season and i took the entire thing and put it in a 4 bolt block because I had it.... it lasted 100 passes and split right down the middle. Split it wide open so far it blew the water pump off lol

sweet! Two midget engines!

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
If you have a bare gm block that needs full machining, that cost is almost as much as the dart shp block. I had a 509 2 bolt block last a long time spraying it down. As stated you are dealing with something that is over 30 years old

·
Western North Carolina
27,033 Posts
I'm want to put a 400 in my S10, everywhere I look I read that a 509 block two bolt main 400 is what I need, why? What is different with it vs other two bolt main blocks and a 4 bolt main 400?
We have ran the 509,511 ,419 blocks.They were fine but.....like others have said the shp block is a better starting point esp for a race app. You are on borrowed time in a lot of cases. For the street I wouldn't hesitate on a oem.But if funds allow I would check out the aftermarket.JMO,,

·
Premium Member
49,668 Posts
1Stupid, the inventor of the 400, will be here to give his add vise.

·
Premium Member
49,668 Posts
FWIW: 509 400 block and don't make it a 4 bolt. It will weaken it.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.