Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, this is my first post on this forum and i need some inpuy/advice on what heads would be best to replace a set of iron 292 heads.these heads were extensively ported and are like the early pro stock heads that grumpy ran on his pro stock vegas.these heads were done by brandywine and if anyone has jenkins book on smallblock chevys , these heads are similar.
these heads are old,leak,etc. , so it is time to replace them.i know cylinder heads have come a long ways since these heads were done.the motor is a 331 cu in 3.25x4.030 , brc alum rods 5.815 long with custom pistons .043 top ring (pistons are the same as in grumps book).cam specs i can not remember but i think they are .684 int/.660ex w/1.5 rockers,[email protected] 288int/292ex . the last time i ran this car it ran [email protected] in the 1/4 in a 2350lb. door car.
the valve size was 2.05in&1.60ex 5/16 stem.i have checked the valve reliefs on the pistons and a 2.08 int valve can be used.i have norris .225 offset int rockers (7/16 stud) and harlan sharp ex rockers.i would like to use these and not go to a jesel or t&d set up.
i asked this question on another forum but i did not get alot of response and i would guess that there are alot of varuables to consider as well.hope to get some input on this. THAMKS gary m

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I have a very nice set of All pro 21 degree alum heads for sale,,they made 871 hp on a 415" engine,,would probably make realistically 750hp+ on a 331". These heads are superior to the ones you mentioned.When it comes to buying heads buy the good ones from the start,,so your not pissed a year later!!!!!!!!any of the heads you mentioned should have a good rocker setup to stay together..thats like buying a suit and wearing tennis shoes. Just my .02 Butch

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Agree with Butch on the rocker system deal. Don't go cheap there.

CFE has a series of 23° BMF heads out now, and one of these offerings is a raised runner 23° configuration that is claimed to flow 369 CFM with CFE's multi-purpose port program in it. That'd put you a ways north of 700 HP without a doubt.

They retail for just under $3K as completed assemblies, so for that kind of money it'd be well worth looking at.

Other versions of the CFE BMF 23° heads are available in low port configurations that will accept your existing intake & rocker hardware, if you feel you have to keep this stuff for whatever reason. Prices are very good on these too.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have a killer set of pro action 23 degree stuff for sale
u got a pm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts