Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been attempting to run Top Sportsman using a Small Block Chevy on motor to run the class. This year in division 1 NHRA change from qualifying 48 cars down to 32 cars. I was all set to run at least in division 1 until the change and now have to figure out which way to go. I did happen to bring my motor to someone in the northeast who happened to perk my interest when he told me he would be running an SB2 motor on the dyno. Std deck SB2, Ugly cast intake manifold, single 4 barrel, no power adders. It was a rainy day with the doors open while running it. Timing at 25 and the first pull was 985 HP running it to 8000. Bump the timing and 2 pulls later it 1018 HP. This thing made 838 before I left. They stopped running it due to the weather and went back to it last Sunday. A little more timing and a different 4 barrel and this thing was at 1080 @8900. I was impressed with this monster

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Sorry, I am a little suspect of a single carb cast intake SB2 making over 1000 N/A. At least not without some generous correction factors. Two things will show the truth, ET and vehicle weight.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sorry, I am a little suspect of a single carb cast intake SB2 making over 1000 N/A. At least not without some generous correction factors. Two things will show the truth, ET and vehicle weight.
This is no average build...Slawko did the heads and I did most of the manifold work (John Husek, the owner, did the hand finish work and Tom Slawko did the final welding). The original goal was to make 1050hp with a single-4 cast manifold. It made 1087 @ 9500 last Sunday. It's going to a different dyno for verification shortly. John assures me he'll post pictures and dyno results in the very near future (the "ugly" manifold needs some external cosmetic work before pictures).

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Can anyone give the cubic inches?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...You obviously didn't see the inside! I predict it will be the "shape of things to come" as this story unfolds.
I did mean outside, I know the inside was a work of art. I saw intake ports on a new set of heads and I was AMAZED. Howard

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is no average build...Slawko did the heads and I did most of the manifold work (John Husek, the owner, did the hand finish work and Tom Slawko did the final welding). The original goal was to make 1050hp with a single-4 cast manifold. It made 1087 @ 9500 last Sunday. It's going to a different dyno for verification shortly. John assures me he'll post pictures and dyno results in the very near future (the "ugly" manifold needs some external cosmetic work before pictures).
That's the one. I offered to put it in my car for proof it was legit but that baby runs. As to correction factor they were looking at fuel consumption and also complaining about other people playing games with Dyno numbers. This stuff goes to the track for verification not just paper numbers. Howard

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
why????? typically "good" wedge head engines that are 20some inches smaller have made 1020hp with an uncut un welded manifold and same with the heads.
The SB2 has a much bigger port capability to flow 40-50 more cfm.
I know flow #'s aren't everything...but combine flow #, dyno #, and then finally track #, that will prove the power.
In todays NA world...1000hp is not uncommon even with 399"

1 - 20 of 96 Posts