Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Not a Hemi!
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At about 11 am this morning there was a lot of noise outside my window. I work on the 3rd floor of a building and just outside is a very large oak tree. The noise was coming from about 10-15 mad crows swarming around and “yelling” at a hawk poised on a branch in the tree not more than 20 feet from my window in the oak tree. The crows were pissed. As I looked closer I saw the hawk had a baby crow in its claws, it must have snatched from a nest. The crows all loudly squawking and swarming the hawk went on for about 5 mins, you could see the baby crow was still alive. Eventually the hawk dropped the baby and flew off with a bunch of angry crows in pursuit. It was very entertaining and I happened to have a front row seat.

I know, pics or it didn't happen but I work in the DOD industry, no cameras are allowed so I couldn't snap a pic with my cell phone.
:(

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
At about 11 am this morning there was a lot of noise outside my window. I work on the 3rd floor of a building and just outside is a very large oak tree. The noise was coming from about 10-15 mad crows swarming around and “yelling” at a hawk poised on a branch in the tree not more than 20 feet from my window in the oak tree. The crows were pissed. As I looked closer I saw the hawk had a baby crow in its claws, it must have snatched from a nest. The crows all loudly squawking and swarming the hawk went on for about 5 mins, you could see the baby crow was still alive. Eventually the hawk dropped the baby and flew off with a bunch of angry crows in pursuit. It was very entertaining and I happened to have a front row seat.

I know, pics or it didn't happen but I work in the DOD industry, no cameras are allowed so I couldn't snap a pic with my cell phone. :(
What about the baby crow after the fall?

·
A Fine Example For Others
40,428 Posts
I believe you, no pics needed. Seeing nature at work and in person is an awsome experence. My best nature experence was watching two bobcats in a brutal fight. Talk about fur flying, WOW !

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Every time I shoot a crow the rest of them fly around squawking like crazy.

·
Not a Hemi!
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Every time I shoot a crow the rest of them fly around squawking like crazy.
A co-worker said the same thing, they are like a gang when one of their own is hurt. He said hope you have a full load of ammo if you shoot one :smt066 The seem mean as hell in a group when they are pissed!

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
I would enjoy watching that.... I like to watch the buzzerd's here chase the hawk every now and then.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Uh, I live in Yuba City, CA 95991. You wanna' see crows??? Hang out at the mall here, it made the fuckin' Nat'l Geographic for shit's sake! From what I understand, "blackbird" season is somethin' like 7x% of the year?? I hope that's true. And that hawk was still alive for a reason. Tenacity + intelligence = winner, winner, chickens for dinner.

---==Temio Williams
Yuba City, CA

·
Registered
19,903 Posts
we used to have Hawks come around in the winter, then my wife started feeding them, now they have moved in year round-they dive bomb the bird feeders and snatch the little birds right off the feeders-they attack all kinds of stuff, at least their killing some of the mice too

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
we used to have Hawks come around in the winter, then my wife started feeding them, now they have moved in year round-they dive bomb the bird feeders and snatch the little birds right off the feeders-they attack all kinds of stuff, at least their killing some of the mice too

Hahaha! Holy crap, they don't need to be fed, they'll manage. That's some funny shit right there! Probably started out harmless enough, then the first little bird death occurred and , "oh, shit!". You can fashion a sorta' "umbrella" out of anything, canvas, tarp, sheet, etc. and it'll shield the little birds from (above) view. They can avoid a side attack alot better than "Death from Above!", that's for sure. Don't get any kittens or puppies until the hawks subside either, they'd be easy pickens! Good luck!

---==Temio Williams
Yuba City, CA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts