Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cool:I started another project. A 70 1/2 Camaro for a customer. He's the second owner and has owned it for 25 -30 yrs. Seems he's always wanted a pro-street car and it was time to cut this one up. She came in with a 454 and dull centerlines and no subframe conectors. Almost a virgin.
He purchased a used old OLDS rear and asked me to use (save) it. It came to me with the factory stamped housing with some really old ladder bars on it and was narrowed using the factory ends and had the origional drum brakes. It was too wide for the job at hand and you can see the factory axle tubes were stamped and tapered so puting 4 link brackets would have been a pain in the ass so I replaced the tubes with 1/4 wall tubes from Chassis engineering. The four link kit is a top gun deal from Chassis as well. So heres the rear and the start of the build.

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
Once again, nice work Ed . . :)

·
Stuck in Lidsville
3,087 Posts
Hope its not a real 70 Z28 ! Cutting one up should be a crime......

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Looks good Ed. 3 sharpies in pic 3 and 4, and all gone by pic 5. You lose em that fast too? Seems like I'm always buying a pack of silver sharpies. An extra tape measure showed up in pic five, so all is not lost. I have several tape measures, but can only find one at any given time:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Your work looks great,but would it have been cheaper in the long run to use something like a 9in Ford because of part availability.Are parts easy to find for the old Olds rear ends...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Your work looks great,but would it have been cheaper in the long run to use something like a 9in Ford because of part availability.Are parts easy to find for the old Olds rear ends...
Strange and Mark Williams make 1350 yokes for them, as well as 35 spline spools. Mark Williams also makes new bearing caps, as those usually split down the middle. The problem with these rears is that no pro gears are made for them that I know of, plus there is only a limited number of ratios available. 4.11, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13 are the only gears out there. Fel-Pro still makes the gasket for the center section. So if you are putting any serious power to it, especially with a heavy car, you wont get much life out of the gear set. Thats why we sold it and got a 9 inch.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:cool:Fellas, it's good to have work. I don't really care how rare the car is if the owner wants to cross the Atlantic with it I'll do it. I'll do the best with whatever I have to work with.

·
Registered
820 Posts
67 Goat said:
Strange and Mark Williams make 1350 yokes for them, as well as 35 spline spools. Mark Williams also makes new bearing caps, as those usually split down the middle. The problem with these rears is that no pro gears are made for them that I know of, plus there is only a limited number of ratios available. 4.11, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13 are the only gears out there. Fel-Pro still makes the gasket for the center section. So if you are putting any serious power to it, especially with a heavy car, you wont get much life out of the gear set. Thats why we sold it and got a 9 inch.
Brad @ fabcraft metalworks has a bunch of different ratio gearsets for those rears.

He's "the man" when it comes to those 9.3 pontiac/olds rears.

http://fabcraftmetalworks.com/

Fabcraft website said:
1957-1964 Pontiac/Olds ring & pinion 3.42, 3.64, 3.90, 4.10, 4.30, 4.56, 4.88, 5.14, 5.38, and deeper gear ratios
He usually has a bunch of stuff listed in his Ebay store too.

http://stores.ebay.com/Fabcraft-Metalworks

And yeah,the other major rear end co.s still have some various odds & ends for those rears as well.

HTH

The fab work on that 9.3 rear indeed looks top shelf!

Bret P.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks good Ed. 3 sharpies in pic 3 and 4, and all gone by pic 5. You lose em that fast too? Seems like I'm always buying a pack of silver sharpies. An extra tape measure showed up in pic five, so all is not lost. I have several tape measures, but can only find one at any given time:rolleyes:
:cool:aint that the truth. I must walk miles extra daily looking for a tape or shapie.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Brad @ fabcraft metalworks has a bunch of different ratio gearsets for those rears.

He's "the man" when it comes to those 9.3 pontiac/olds rears.

http://fabcraftmetalworks.com/

He usually has a bunch of stuff listed in his Ebay store too.

http://stores.ebay.com/Fabcraft-Metalworks

And yeah,the other major rear end co.s still have some various odds & ends for those rears as well.

HTH

The fab work on that 9.3 rear indeed looks top shelf!

Bret P.
WOW! That guy has it all for those things!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts