Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone give me any advice on this rifle(good and bad)and what scope and bi-pod and any other accessories would be a good choice for the money for making it a descent long range gun....i'm new to rifles and any info would help...thanks

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
One of the best out of the box rifles on the market. The Accu-Trigger is the tits. PERIOD.

What exactly do you mean by "long range", this will effect the choice of glass suggestions. But if you stick with Leupold or Night Force, you will be in the area of paying around the same if not more for the glass than the rifle.

If you are looking for a 1000 yard paper puncher then there are other rifles in the Savage line-up I would go to first. If you are looking for a long range hunting rifle (up to 500 yds), then you are in the ballpark.

My mentality is if I am shooting 1000 yards at an animal then I need to re-evaluate my hunting skills. I won't take a shot at an animal over 300 yds. Not because of lack of skill...but I like to actually test my hunting abilities. For me it is all about the stalk. And actually I have never taken an animal at over 150 yrds. But I sight my rifle in at 300. (just in case)

But I am by no means set in my ways of thinking...so I always enjoy questions like yours. Never fails that I learn something new from someone on here that broadens my horizons.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts

·
Slow Poke
2,060 Posts
I would also look at the Rem 5R Milspec. For under $1200 I don't think you will find a better long range .308 rifle.

http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/Rem_M700_StainlessSpecial5RMilspec.asp

I agree with you on this. I'm spending way more than that on a custom build right now and I have my fingers crossed that it out shoots my 5R. It would be alot easy to do a full custom build if I didn't know the capabilites of the 5R because now I compare all my rifles accuracy to it, and shoots much better than I can.

·
Medium Pimpin!
8,852 Posts
I know a guy who builds rifles mostly Remingtons and he finally built a Savage for shits and giggles. Only changes were a E.r. shaw barrel and a new stock. It shoots 1000 yds consistantly with Berger 175s.

·
Slow Poke
2,060 Posts
Are these 5R rifles easy to find nowadays? Im thinkin about getting another .308 and this one seems really nice for the money,Thanks

I had to call around a bit to find one in stock. Everyone could order one and have it in a week or two. Got mine for right at a grand. They also make a 20" version of the rifle now and it's threaded for a break or suppressor too. I can't speak for it's accuracy, but my 24" version shoots really well for all it is.

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
You can pick up a TC Icon in .308 that will shoot sub MOA for about $899-$1000 depending on the stock you want. For distance shooting (1000+) I would buy something bigger than .308.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The further you get from the .308 cartridge, the cost per round goes up exponentially. Also, 308 /7.62x51 is found everywhere! Just a point to consider. There's nowhere around me I could even shoot 1000+ meters. There is nothing tall enough nor open enough.

·
Medium Pimpin!
8,852 Posts
The further you get from the .308 cartridge, the cost per round goes up exponentially. Also, 308 /7.62x51 is found everywhere! Just a point to consider. There's nowhere around me I could even shoot 1000+ meters. There is nothing tall enough nor open enough.
308 and 7.62x51 arent the same round. Its like comparing 223 and 556.

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
30-06 costs just about the same per round and still has power past 1000. And 30-06 is easier to find than .308 in most stores.

Pick it up in any Wal-Mart or any Surplus Store. But I like .308 also.

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
A 5.56 round will not work in a .223 only rifle, but a .223 will work in a 5.56 rifle. Almost the same round.

.308 WIN and 7.62x51 are not even close to the same size. 7.62x51 is about a 1/4" longer and has alot more power.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
A 5.56 round will not work in a .223 only rifle, but a .223 will work in a 5.56 rifle. Almost the same round.

.308 WIN and 7.62x51 are not even close to the same size. 7.62x51 is about a 1/4" longer and has alot more power.
I think you have the case PSI ratings flip flopped. A .308 case can handle a lot hotter load then a 7.62. Overall lengths are also very close.

Here is a good link that compares the .308 Win to the 7.62 X 51

http://www.thegunzone.com/30cal.html

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
I think you have the case PSI ratings flip flopped. A .308 case can handle a lot hotter load then a 7.62. Overall lengths are also very close.

Here is a good link that compares the .308 Win to the 7.62 X 51

http://www.thegunzone.com/30cal.html
Sorry I ment the difference between .308 Win and 30-06 (7.62x63), guess it is closer to half an inch longer, not a 1/4 inch. Didn't bother to look up the specs before I posted. Just knew it was a bigger more powerful round for long distance. (1000+) And about the same price per round.

Thanks for posting the link.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I shoot a tikka t3 varmit it has better adjustable trigger and shoots great at 300 yrds it has shot 1" groups with black hills 168gr match ammo and I use burris fullfeild II 6.5-20x50 scope with tally mounts and Harris bipod. Rifle is made by Sako cost 800 scope 450 and bipod 70 but this was 5 1/2 yrs ago.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts