Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen where some one was a saturn tech but cant find the post .search turned up 0 posts.the a/c will not come on on my 2000 ls1 saturn.I know it could be to low on freon. bought a couple cans of 134a for it .I can not get the compressor to kick on even by crossing out like on other systems.checked relays and fuses they are all good.dont know what else to do .all help is greatly appreciated

·
Bracket racer
5,188 Posts
Worked on one with same issue. The compressor clutch wen bad. Ohm out the clutch. Probably has an open coil. The compressor is expensive. Find a junkyard compressor and you can swap the clutch on the car and never have to discharge the freon.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I used to be a Saturn tech, yes check power and ground at the compressor, and ohm out the coil. And yes go to the junkyard find a a compressor there. I've owned 3 saturns and whenever the compressors start leaking I just go to my local pick and pull on 1/2 price day and nab a compressor!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Comp clutch coils go out alot. check for power on the green wire. can replace the clutch pretty easliy

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no power on the green wire .clutch ohmed good ,no short in wire between compressor and fuse box ,could the diode be bad it ohms high in the 1000s range. Im at a loss

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
if you have a scanner,you can check to see if the ecm is commanding the ac clutch to engage.if you don't have a scanner and have a power probe you can chek for continuity at the compressor and power it up that way.if you don't have a power probe,you can jump the ac relay on terminal 87/30 which should be diagnal to each other.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
i have what ever info you need as far as wiring and what not.let me know if ya need something

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
Saying Tech and Saturn in the same sentence is wrong on so many levels. I can not believe a modern car with a 100k club like its a big achievement to make it to 100K.

My brothers Accord just failed to make the 100k club because one of the original tires started losing air and got egg shaped at 99k other than that it is 100% original, now that is a 100K club, if you can do it with 0 repairs then it is saying something.

As far as the A/C clutch goes it still will need to have 12v across the terminals so all you need to diagnose it is a 12v test light to see if the ECM is doing its job.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Saying Tech and Saturn in the same sentence is wrong on so many levels. I can not believe a modern car with a 100k club like its a big achievement to make it to 100K.

My brothers Accord just failed to make the 100k club because one of the original tires started losing air and got egg shaped at 99k other than that it is 100% original, now that is a 100K club, if you can do it with 0 repairs then it is saying something.

As far as the A/C clutch goes it still will need to have 12v across the terminals so all you need to diagnose it is a 12v test light to see if the ECM is doing its job.
so true,btw do people still use test lights?ever since a co-worker fried an ecm,i only use circuit protected (power probe) test probes.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,399 Posts
Jumping sensors out is only going to set a code. Sensors use a 8 volt reference, they are not simple on off pressure switches. If the fan stops working or coolant temp goes out of range you will lose AC. You also have a evap sensor on those if i remember correctly. Basically there is alot of ecm contol over the AC.

if you just want to check your charge, put a set of gauges on it, if you have pressure (70-100 psi depending on outside temp) then jump out the compressor relay and see where the low side ends up after a short period of time. 28-32 psi would be good, lower then that it will need some 134, and i it just makes a run for 0 then shut it off, it's really low.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried like on older vehicles and crossed out the wires at the low pressure switch and got nothing. now I see to try it at the relay.no codes or anything.both fans still work.the charge does show low but thats with out circulating I dont know if its low enough not to work. I have a cheaper autozone gauge. thanks to you all for trying to help

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
Do you have 12v to the compressor clutch coil? if you do have 12 on one side and ground on the other or 12 between the two wires then you have a bad clutch.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I tried like on older vehicles and crossed out the wires at the low pressure switch and got nothing. now I see to try it at the relay.no codes or anything.both fans still work.the charge does show low but thats with out circulating I dont know if its low enough not to work. I have a cheaper autozone gauge. thanks to you all for trying to help
what are the numbers on the guages?did you jump the relay?did you verify 12 volts at the compressor coil?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no power on the green wire to the clutch. the ground is good.even switched the relay and checked all fuses, it does have a diode but I think it is good .clutch ohmed good

·
Registered
101 Posts
bcm plays a role on those a/c systems.. did have a l with a/c inop, turned out to be a bad body control module (bcm).. good luck.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
havent jumped the relay yet. the gauge is just color coded just border line low no pressure reading

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
looking at wiring diagram as i type this and bcm has nothing to do with it as far as i can see.pretty straight forward actually.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts