Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My house is heavily treed with large pecan trees. I had a new dish installed 2 years ago, but was unable to get HD because it has to pick up 3 sat's? So my setup has worked ok until now, tree's are filling out and now they are blocking my view. I'd like to put a dish on a tower or pole of some kind to take care of the problem. i want to go high enough up to where hopefully I can pick up HD. I want it stout and I only want to do it once. I've found this, but its about $400.
http://www.ronard.com/Tripods 0703/5712.html It looks really stout and if it will do the job, I'm ok with it. I've had 2 different sattellite installers out and they both confirmed no HD. I'll be placing this on the peak of a 10/12 pitch roof. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The only thing you can do is get over the trees. When we were still puting in the big dishes, if the customer lived in the woods,we would put them on top of a 21 foot pole and could pick up all the satellites.
I have scene people mount their small dishes in trees and make out fine but I wouldnt suggest it.So unless you can top a tree or 2 you have to get over them for sure.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wouldn't mount that to a roof of a house if I had any other option, we use these here in Minnesota http://www.tvantenna.com/products/tvreception/mounting/towers/taco/dmx/dmxfeatures.html They aren't cheap, but they will give you a lifetime of good use if installed correctly, I have a 64' one at my house and have climbed it regularly without any trouble of loosing reception even while i'm on the thing at 210lbs. Putting it in a tree will give you reception of sometimes a year or sometimes before you pull out of the driveway.

Joe

·
Registered
368 Posts
You have to know how tall your obstruction is, what angle your dish is looking at and the distance between the dish and the obstruction. That will tell you how high you need to go. I have a dish to obstruction calculator that I can send you if you give me your email address. It is a DOS program but it still works in XP, I am unsure about Vista.

·
all motor
4,461 Posts
I made my own mount that holds two dishes securely. I used 2" ( I think that was the size) galvanized pipe with t's that I attached to my chimney stack on the roof.

I re-used metal tie down strapping that was there from the antenna days, but I was planning on using 2 pieces of uni-strut each about 12" long and attaching those to the brick, then using 2" pipe clamps to secure it to the unistrut.

it cost me probably 50 bux max and looks good.

whatever size the dish clamp supported is the size of pipe i got.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Find you a cheap inclinometer. DirecTV looks at 205 - 220 degrees azimuth for HD at a 47 degree elevation. Dish I believe looks around 190 - 200 azimuth and 37 degrees elevation. Keep in mind also that (DirecTV anyway) the signal is coming off the dish at a 45 degree angle with the LNB.

Also, DirecTV HD dishes require 2" I.D. pipe for pole mount.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts