Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
23,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More than three months after the official search was called off, what could be the chances the Nina — a schooner with seven souls onboard — could still be drifting out there somewhere?
Back in early July, New Zealand search officials announced they had nowhere else to look for the sailboat, with six Americans and a British passenger on its manifest.
They were heading to Australia during a June storm when sporadic transmissions from the vessel painted an increasingly bleak picture — then silence and a failed search that lasted 11 days.
Fuzzy satellite pictures of a ghost ship in one particular section of ocean — images, now a month old — have raised the spirits of friends and family.
It's also created a bit of an international incident, as the U.S. government has resisted calls to offer up clearer satellite images.
Sheesh ... I was thinking it was a story about some pirate ship of old, still cruising the oceans.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/10/18/satellite-images-suggest-ghost-ship-nina-may-still-be-out-there

·
Registered
145 Posts
While the odds are against it you never know. Disgusting that the US Government is reportedly not cooperating with providing better images.

The Nina is a very famous yacht, 85 years old, still sailing the world. She is designed by Starling Burgess, one of the US's best yacht designers, he is up there with Nathaniel Herreshoff and Olin Stephens. 7 people on board, two of them teenagers.

I read several reports when she was first reported missing. It is unclear when the alarm was raised that she was overdue. An Epirb signal was never received. A meteorologist had the last communication with them on the 4th June but then nothing but I can not recall if he contacted the rescue authorities then or several days later when they were officially overdue. Boats frequenlty lose communication but are otherwise fine.

People have been found after similar times at sea, the ocean is a large place. Check out Adrift by Steven Callahan or google the Rose Noelle.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
maybe they can make it .... "snakes on a boat" or .... zombies on a boat ...

Maybe they could fill a boat with YB members and call it, "Phucksticks on a boat".

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
Would that be the Nina of "Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria" fame? Been floating around a long time. ;) Take care. Tom Worthington

·
Registered
745 Posts
Boats and hoes song made it famous.

Hope all is well

·
Registered
145 Posts
I realize it is the Yellow Bullet, still, do a little research on this boat.....
Being a yacht designer, it always hurts a bit when one goes missing, especially with the history behind this boat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts