Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
"Big Al" Sargent
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What grit sandpaper do you use to final sand for paint? I'm gonna spray it with Eastwood Urethane. I always used 400 grit when I painted acrylic enamel...just wondering if I should use 500 grit with the urethane. Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Depending on the color, I would lean more towards 500-600. Some of your finer metallics will show scratches with 400.

·
hauling 3650lbs of mail
1,149 Posts
Depending on the color, I would lean more towards 500-600. Some of your finer metallics will show scratches with 400.
:grin: I agree

·
Registered
178 Posts
i always do a wet 400 then finish off with a 600 wet..if i'm using candys then i like to go one more step with 800wet..just my own call on that..i feel the 800wet will catch anything i may have missed with the 600wet..i seal everything before i spray color no matter what kind of paint i'm spraying..just a tab of insurance and i don't like to color sand and buff so try and get paint flat and smooth as i can to cut down on buffing process....

·
Registered
178 Posts
800 is too fine.. Not enough grip . 500 tops.

i use the 800wet more as a cleaner sort of...before i spray paint my primer is as slick as a buffed paint job...maybe it is only in my head but has worked for me for past 8 to 10 years so see no reason to change my ways now..i start with a 400wet//then//600wet//then a fast one time hit with my 800wet/////everyone is going to have differant ways of doing it..when i first started painting i only did primmer with 600wet..it all comes down to what finish you want..

·
Registered
308 Posts
400 is fine, we've used 400 on restorations that have sold for $250K plus and many have won best of show awards. The key ingredient to a good job is blocking it correctly, multi-step color sanding and lots of time and patients. Just remember "Nothing good ever come easy" so take your time and do it right the first time. We'd also use water buff to clean between compound buffing and final glaze buffing. Good luck and take your time!

·
"Big Al" Sargent
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went with 500 just to be safe. It's a non metallic paint job and things look good so far. Thanks for the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts