Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

THIS IS A MUST SEE.

104 YEAR OLD FILM CLIP - San Francisco, California - [April 1906]

This is a real treasure! "You are there" for a cable car ride in San Francisco. This film was "lost" for many years. It was the first 35 mm film ever. It was taken by camera mounted on the front of a cable car. The number of automobiles is staggering for 1906. Absolutely amazing!

The clock tower at the end of Market Street at the Embarcadero wharf is still there.

How many "street cleaning" people were employed to pick up after the horses? Who knows! (A shitty job, no matter how you look at it.) Talk about going green.

Great historical film! Watch the scampering as "Joe Public" races away from autos, horses, cable cars and bicycles and the willy-nilly traffic pattern of visible autos, trucks, horse drawn carriages and bikes on Market Street.

This film, originally thought to be from 1905 until David Kiehn with the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum figured out exactly when it was shot. From New York trade papers announcing the film showing to the wet streets from recent heavy rainfall & shadows indicating time of year & actual weather and conditions on historical record, even when the cars were registered (he even knows who owned them and when the plates were issued!). It was filmed only four days before the Great California Earthquake of April 18th,
1906 and shipped by train to NY for processing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NINOxRxze9k&feature=player_embedded#!

·
Registered
19,910 Posts
i saw it somewhere, cant remember if it was here or not, but still cool

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
That is a great film clip, thanks. My aunt used to live and work in S.F. and I used to visit her fairly frequently. My parents would put me on the train when I was 10-years old (the Southern Pacific "Daylight", steam powered) and I use to get there in about 8 hours. This was about 1949. San Fran used to be a very cosmopolitan city, very formal. Notice in the photo that all the men are dressed in suits with hats. I remember that from when I used to go up there. Women too, hats and gloves if they went downtown to Market St. I remember talking to people that lived through the quake of 1906. My aunt was born in 1909 and my parents in 1910, so it was not unusual to know plenty of folks that were born in the very early 1900's or even in the late 1800's. My grandparents on both sides of my family were all born in the 1800's. The quake was bad enough but it was the fire that wiped the town out. All the water mains broke, no water to the fire hydrants.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Bravo.

Thank you for sharing that clip. I enjoy watching old movies just to see old cars, trains, planes, and antiques like telephones/ wooden telephone booths and early elevators etc. My ABSOLUTE favorite is old fire trucks, especially fire wagons with the boilers on the back.

YEARS AGO( 1974????)......they made this huge ultra detailed 1911 "Christy" fire engine model which was front wheel drive with the fire wagon boiler in the back....I have a bunch still in the plastic wrap.

I noticed a few things:

The cars were very wide.
I understand that since there were very little dedicated automobile roads at the time, cars traveled on existing horse and buggy or wagon trails that were built with a wider wheel track, so the automobiles followed their specifics.

The commercial horse-drawn wagons were HUGE.
Not your typical GVW as western movie wagons.

How were those brollies moving?
STEAM powered cable system underground.

Would LOVE to see this stuff in person today.....where did it all go?

Mistah

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Thank you! That was great!! It's amazing to see the chaos between the cars, horses, people and trolley's. It's amazing no one got hit! Great piece of history.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts