Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of power difference can I except everything the same. Switching over from a DART IE 9.5 to DART ALUMINUM 9.5 block.

Engine HP was 809HP @ 8100 AND 610FT/lbs @ 6100

Naturally Aspirated only.............

thx,

Gregg Herbert
NPRacing

·
RED ROCKET
8,629 Posts
it was a wash in my case..car ran the same..lost power in my opinion but the weight loss on the frontend made the car work much better so it was worth it.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I always say usually count on 20 for sure & can be as much as 30. I have a Dart Alum. Race series block for my own personal engine, N/A, 9.325" Dk.Ht., makes closer to 9 hun, than 8, & I feel I'm down a solid 30 with it. Car likes it though ;)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
In the current Drag Racer magazine, Maskin built two engines based on his aluminum vs. iron blocks and they made basically identical power. Granted, it was not an independent test, however, it did show that the power output was the same. Engines were 598 and the weight saving was right at 100 lbs. for the half filled aluminum block.

Paul

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
And it depends if its a cast aluminum block or billet aluminum block. The Dart iron Compacted Graphite block is also worth a few ponies just from ring seal alone. Most small tires cars end up with weight up from to keep he front end down, so the aluminum block is not worth it if using a small block. Now a big block could a different story just from the weight factor.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
when the warer cavity is filled with grout , you cannot remove a sleeve without damaging the grout.

when considering the overall weight COMPARISON , the grout fill amount has to be calculated.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Actually just did this in an 01 bullitt. Gained and lost nothing. Made exactly the same power and torque. But since he wants to road race it a lighter block is nice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts