Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am told that some used car dealers get rebuilt Canadian cars and sell them here (I’m in Washington) with clean titles cause Canada doesn’t have the requirements for “salvage” titles that we do.

So the buyer gets a clean title on a car that may have wreck repair issues.

Is that true? Does Canada not do it the same?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Don't know if it's still like this but used to be in B.C. if you made a deal with insurance that included your totaled car back the reggy wouldn't show salvage but would if it went to auction.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I believe in Manitoba it only gets a salvage title if its a writeoff. Doesn't matter if it goes to auction or not. A few years ago I had a pretty bad accident with my 2010 F150. Lady turned left right in front of me just as it was turning yellow. Good 10k in damage including some frame work needed. Clean title.

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I just bought a 72 Firebird out of Canada with an LS3/TR6060 six speed swap out of a 2010 Camaro SS that was totaled in Ontario in 2012. The seller claimed it had 20K miles on it. He had the tags from the engine/trans dropout from the wrecking yard so I ran a Carfax to see if it was 20K or 120K miles. Total loss-junk title/certificate was issued in 2012 at 28K miles.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
All totaled BC cars get a salvage title, once it is rebuilt and gov inspected it then gets a rebuilt title, I dont know of any way around this unless it is an old beater that the owner loves dearly and the damage is not bad, but puts it over the threshold then they might not write it off, just give the customer a buy out, if it is newer and a buy back, still gets a salvage title.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Here in the US rental car companies sell cars with clean titles that would be branded UN rebuildable if a insurance paid off. But since they are rental company self insured, these cars get sold on "clean title". They have a carfax report, but no title brand

I did quite a few of these before Carfax, always disclosed it was damaged and repaired.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
At the end of the day it's still a F'ed up Old Rebuilt Dodge.

·
Registered
20,704 Posts
Some states don't brand titles.....unless this has been changed. Sometimes I wonder if this is mostly bullshit. If a car can be safely repaired SAFELY........and looks good.........why should it be "salvage"

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
we In Washington State
....... get our salvage Canadian cars from Oregon.!
you can buy a Canadian car In washington it must got through state inspection and meet US standard safety before registration can be obtain
and must be accompany a Shipper report (Importer report from country of origins)Canada.
Those reports are not cheep.
its more of a duty Based on MSRP when new non deprecation applies

yes you can Buy car parts from canada But it must not Be in drivable conditions
Most Canadian cars registered in WA, come through Oregon or Other States first

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Alberta is also very lax when it comes to registration and bills of sale, we have no title here just registration.
Very true.

I've regestered a few vehicles that were new to me with no previous registration pink card (previous owner is supposed to sign it and give it to the new owner) and just a hand scribbled bill of sale and they didn't even ask to see it, just pay the $80 registration fee and you're good to go usually in under 5 minutes with fresh plates in hand.

Privatizing our DMV is one thing the government got right. :rock:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts