Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a saltwater tank at home?i've had freshwater fish for as long as i can remember.just bought a 150 gallon tank.thought about saltwater..anyone know what i need and what to expect to spend?

·
598 Coming Soon
19,628 Posts
just like your car...the sky is the limit with a Salt Water Tank, They're alot of fun to get started but financially can get very expensive

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Not sure on the spending part, I have a 300 gallon reef tank.

Lots of live rock and a good protein skimmer. No bio balls or medium in the sump. Just becomes a huge Nitrate generator. You use the live rock and sand for your bio. I have a calcium reactor to keep my calcium and alk stable since I have corals but its not necessary on a fish only deal.

Just dont skimp on the skimmer. These are pretty good, most seem happy with the performance of the sicce pumps on them. http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-extreme-200-br-protein-skimmer-br-by-coralvue-2200.html

·
Registered
604 Posts
its going to be expensive. I had a 90g that i just took down b/c i didn't have enough time for. Figure on a good skimmer, heater, powerheads, pumps, lighting costing about $750+. Depending on how deep you want you sand bed on that size tank you looking at probably around another $100 or so. Live rock is $3-5/lb you will probably want about 100-120lbs of rock so there is another $3-500 on rock.

To get started you are probably looking at $1500 before adding any animals, testing/maintenance equipment. Then you need salt mix to do water changes and special RO or RO/DI water that you can either buy a system to get the water pure or buy it at a fish store (roughly $0.50-$1.00 per gallon).

Then corals/fish/inverts depending on your tastes go up from there. If this is your first SW tank start off with something smaller maybe a 25-30G tank before you blow a boat load of money just to have eveyrthing die on you b/c you're not 100% on what to do.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I've got at least $500-600 just in my little 24 gallon...it'll add up very quickly depending on what you want to do.

Oh, and that's not including the cost of the tank and water changes.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i bought the tank used for 200.00...i have a 55 gallon now.would the cost be cut in half if i saltwatered it?

·
Registered
604 Posts
didn't realize it costs so much....might have to stick with my Oscars.
yeah its very expensive....lighting alone can get into the $1000's depending on how fancy you want to get (LED, PC, T5's, etc).

I also had a Red Sea Max Reef Tank that is an all in one tank. That was a 35g and i probably had $1100-1200 in it for everything fish/corals/inverts/etc

SW tanks look the best but like with anything else you need to pay to play.

check out www.reefcentral.com or www.nano-reef.com you will see what can be done and how much $$ stuff is

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Ehh u guys have listened to too many people, I used to own a pet store and still keep salt water aquariums. You can do it on the cheap it just takes a little bit more time. Yes it costs more than a fresh water, but not as much as you would think

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Get a good skimmer. My EuroReef blem has been in the tank since I set it up 7 years ago without a hickup. I have a 150 show tank in the house that's plumbed to a 75 gallon fuge, skimmer and 40 gallon sump in the garage. Works great, I have access to everything in the garage and the tank is whisper quiet in the house. I wouldn't trade for a freshwater setup and a bucket of cash to go with it. Salt water fish are much smarter and more active, plus you get the fantastic variety of brightly colored fish. I scrape the glass once a month and use a magnetic cleaner once a week. We add about 2 gallons of water a day to top off what we lost from evaporation. Do a 10% - 15% water change every month and you'll remove toxins and add trace minerals all at once.
It's not a cheap hobby, but it's not that expensive once you get it set up.

·
598 Coming Soon
19,628 Posts
Coming from someone that paid WHOLE SALE for everything

Ehh u guys have listened to too many people, I used to own a pet store and still keep salt water aquariums. You can do it on the cheap it just takes a little bit more time. Yes it costs more than a fresh water, but not as much as you would think

·
Registered
2,759 Posts

Ya, I don't think its all that bad. If its fish only you dont need crazy lighting, that's if you go to a reef setup it gets rather expensive.

If you do it right to start the upkeep isn't all that bad.

Forgot about the R/O. You will want to do your water changes and topoff water with R/O water, I don't use a DI on my setup and it works just fine. You can get a budget R/O unit for about 150 bucks, and don't use the Post carbon filter, that will sometimes leach phosphates back into the water and give you algea issues.

I purchased a lot of my stuff used, and probably have 4000 total into it. Thats including 1500 just for the stand and canopy I had to have built. Got my tank used for 400 bucks. Small return pump with in tank power heads. I have lots of lighting so no need for a heater, if anything its keeping it cool more than heat.
I would say more along the lines of 150-200lbs of live rock and 200-250lbs of sand at least. Kinda depends on the dimensions of your tank but about 4-5" sand bed is what I run.

Reefcentral is a great place to read and learn on setups. Start with fish only keep it fairly simple and work from there. I would never go back to freshwater myself.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Coming from someone that paid WHOLE SALE for everything
Nope, when I owned the store i got a 15% discount. Didn't want to take money from the store to make things I like look nice. It has also been over 10 years since I had the store, and I have set up 3 more tanks since then. It's just in picking the right stuff and the order you do it in. So might wanna ask before pointing fingers;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
As stated above it's the initial set up that costs you, but after that its just maintenance costs like salt, replacement bulbs, ro/di filters.
Do not use tap water to set up you tank!!
reefcentral is one of the best sites to get info.

·
Bracket racer
5,189 Posts
^^ true. If you have time, patience, and deep pockets saltwater if fun. If not stick with freshwater. The initial set up with cost $$$$, But once you have all the stuff its relatively cheap to maintain. Just requires a lot of maintenance and a strict schedule. I downgraded to a 4 gallon tank just to free up time. If you dont want to dedicate so much time to a salt tank then I would just upgrade your 55 gal Oscar tank to the new tank and make them happy they have a bigger home.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey guys I am a manufacturer in the industry for 25 years its like anything else you do, how in depth are you going to get?

The question about the 55 gallon tank isn't really relevant to cost he could spend way more with a that tank then he would with say the 300 gallon tank it all depends.

First things first, go talk to people in your area and see what they are "successful" with. Like everything the people on all web boards are "pros" and have done this and that and some have. But you need some hands on experience. Read a lot and before you jump in and decide how much you want to spend "cash" wise be aware the salt water tank takes more TIME not necessarily money.As a drag racer I dont have the time and my salt water tank is dry right now.
But I have run 2000 gallon salt water systems so if you would like I would be happy to make suggestions.

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,068 Posts
i have a 70 gal tank and it cost roughly 3k all new , including about 5 fish and some corals .

i also have a 600 gal tank that im slowly hoarding parts for but last time i calculated it i have around 6500 in equipment just for that tank and still need more stuff for it .

dont skimp on stuff with salt water , get the best and your fish will love you for it .

·
Registered
41 Posts
puddin has some bad ass salt set ups im suprised she hasnt chimed in. i have a 29 gal bio cube and have almost 2000.00 involved.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts