Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just switched my pool to salt water, curious to how you guys maintain running just your filter pump. I'm not around to be able to turn this thing on every time the salt water pumps kicks on. Suggestions?

·
FORD
3,545 Posts
The filter pump and saltwater pump aren't on the same timer? That's the way mine is. I set the timer, and the filter pump will run before an hour before the saltwater system runs. Once the saltwater system is done, the filter pump runs another hour, and then shuts off.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should there be a place on the salt water pump where the filter pump plugs in to? I'm using the filter pump that came with the pool?

·
Bracket racer
5,194 Posts
I would be filing it with pretty fish.

·
Registered
20,374 Posts
how much money is saved with these salt systems? I have an inground pool about 16,000 gallons. i go thru 4 jugs of chlorine a month in the summer. probly only 1 a month in the winter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My buddy turned me on to it and says it is a day and night diferance in the work and money that goes into a pool.. Said it paid for itself in less than a year..He has a differant unit that the one I bought.. His is like 69fastback's, all in one...

·
Registered
13,646 Posts
You will be changing pumps every 2-3 years with a saltwater system. It eats them up pretty quick. Its still better than the alternative though.

·
Aviation Section
25,487 Posts
how much money is saved with these salt systems? I have an inground pool about 16,000 gallons. i go thru 4 jugs of chlorine a month in the summer. probly only 1 a month in the winter.

Mine in Miami is 18' X 36' and I have a screen enclosure over it so that kills some of the sun and it uses 2 gallons a WEEK normally and much more if it rains and it is usually more thanks to Debby doing Florida!

Have been thinking about salt water and may want to go to it as Chlorine ain't getting cheaper. Dave

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
What brands are you guys using??

I have been thinking about changing mine to a salt system.

How about more info on these Fiber Filters mentioned earlier?? I have a Hayward cartridge unit now.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
mine is inground around 77,000 lts salt water chlorinator works great year round only prpblem is after having a pool for all my life the novelty has truly worn off needless to say i would be lucky to actually hop in it maybe once a year.

Cheers

·
Registered
312 Posts
what is the benifits of salt over the norm? just curious..

·
Registered
801 Posts
the only time you have to add salt is if you have to dump off some water. i add added two bags of salt to mine last year. 7$ per bag. the chlorine generator turns the salt into chlorine. then as the chlorine is "used up" it turns back into salt.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I'm old school. I use a DE filter and granulated chlorine. I add about a scoop of granules every couple of days, run the filter 3 hrs./day (on a timer - on at 3:00PM off at 6:00), raise the PH and hardness every now and then and that's it. My water is crystal clear and my chem levels stay stable. I think a lot of people put WAY too much thought into this stuff. Keep it simple.

·
Registered
894 Posts
This is my 4th year on salt and while I do like it, it's certainly not hassel free or cheap. This year I am fighting calcium scale, but think I may need a new cell in the chrlorine generator. Being in NJ I need to heat mine and cover it at night with a solar cover, that seems tobe leading to some problems also as I have had it go cloudy a few times already this season........... No cover ..... no problems. We had a very mild winter with lots of rain and I needed about $250 worth of this and that to balance out my system this spring, not good ..... In my opinion, chlorine is easier and possibly cheaper in the long haul but that salt water sure is nicer to swim in.

bob

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
This is my 4th year on salt and while I do like it, it's certainly not hassel free or cheap. This year I am fighting calcium scale, but think I may need a new cell in the chrlorine generator. Being in NJ I need to heat mine and cover it at night with a solar cover, that seems tobe leading to some problems also as I have had it go cloudy a few times already this season........... No cover ..... no problems. We had a very mild winter with lots of rain and I needed about $250 worth of this and that to balance out my system this spring, not good ..... In my opinion, chlorine is easier and possibly cheaper in the long haul but that salt water sure is nicer to swim in.

bob
what's do you keep your PH and CH levels at?

have you ever been to the site?
http://www.troublefreepool.com

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator

Joe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts