Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get all my safety gear bought and installed that I need to go racing and I am not sure where to look for all of what I will need for what I am racing. Not sure what info to give you guys other than I am building basically an 8.50 certed Caged vehicle. Im looking to find personal gear requirements as well as what the vehicle has to have to be compliant to this speed as well.

Fire away.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Get the rule book for the relevant sanctioning body.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like the NHRA Book? Can yo buy those local anyway or have to mail off for it?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
First you can go the the NHRA.COM website, search the sections for the online Rulebook. This will tell you what you need for inside the car for cage requirements, seat belts, seat placement, driver heigth per the top halo bars and so on, and it will also tell you what certification info you will need to run 9.99999 and quicker for a firesuit. You will need a coat, pants, and a current SFI., dated helmet(I'd advise you to spend you money very wisely here and buy the best you can afford!!!). If your going to run nitrous oxide and or alcohol, you need gloves and shoes as well I believe(CORRECT ME IF I"M WRONG HERE GUYS...)

As far as SFI cert'd fire clothing, you can do a search on line and type in SFI Safety driving apparel and that should bring up a few names. Here is a range of certifications to look at for what your doing=Driver Suits (3.2A/1, 3.2A/3, 3.2A/5)

I myself have RJS equipment out of Hazel Park, Mi., and there are a bunch more like Taylor Motorsports, Simpson, Impact, Jegs and Summit sell there own brands as well...

Next....:cool:

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Yup, get the rulebook! Here is a quick summary off the top of my head:
SFI 3.2a/5 firesuit (1 piece or separate jacket & pants), UNLESS you have a power adder (N2O, blower, turbo) AND an aluminum firewall, then you will need a 3.2a/15 (much more expensive), 3.3/5 gloves, and 3.3/5 shoes
3.3/1 gloves, except as noted above
Snell or SFI rated helmet, with a spec date of 2005 or later (i.e., Snell M2005)

For the car
Trans shield
Flexplate shield
SFI flexplate
window net
5 pt harness
SFI roll cage padding around the helmet
SFI damper

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, get the rulebook! Here is a quick summary off the top of my head:
SFI 3.2a/5 firesuit (1 piece or separate jacket & pants), UNLESS you have a power adder (N2O, blower, turbo) AND an aluminum firewall, then you will need a 3.2a/15 (much more expensive), 3.3/5 gloves, and 3.3/5 shoes
3.3/1 gloves, except as noted above
Snell or SFI rated helmet, with a spec date of 2005 or later (i.e., Snell M2005)

For the car
Trans shield
Flexplate shield
SFI flexplate
window net
5 pt harness
SFI roll cage padding around the helmet
SFI damper
What about Fire Extinguisher in car I assume I have to have that. What is the Damper you speak about, I have the rest ofr the car equipment covered so it sounds like Im pretty close on all the car build safety.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
What about Fire Extinguisher in car I assume I have to have that. What is the Damper you speak about, I have the rest ofr the car equipment covered so it sounds like Im pretty close on all the car build safety.
NHRA does NOT require an extinguisher in the car until you get to 7.50 where an onboard fire system is required. Most tracks I have been to won't let me keep a regular extinguisher in the car unless it in a billet mount (still haven't bought one of those).

Damper is also known as a harmonic balancer, you need an SFI spec one like an ATI or Fluidampr.

·
On the flow bench
13,722 Posts
Do it
Put 2 in the tow car.....;)
Never know when your team , or a mates team requires one ASAP.....

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
13.99 or faster you need a helmet. 11.99 or faster you need a 3-2A/1 jacket. 9.99 or 135 mph you need 3/2A-5 jacket and pants, 3.3-1 gloves, 3.3 neck collar, and helmet must be full faced. I'll stop there since you only said the cage was going to be certified for 8.50. Also some other key points, depending on stock fire wall or if its .40 steel you will not neet the 15 suit if running power adder. Also at 150 mph a chute is required to be mounted on the car. The roll bar padding only has to be on the bars where your helmet can touch with you strapped in the car. Also please check and i have no idea why but i have seen several cars this past year come to get certified and fail because they are chromemoly tubing that has been mig welded. If its CM you must tig it! Give me a call if you have any questions or if you want to get some pricing from me.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Projected ET is low 9's or faster. Cage is already in and Certed for 8.50 My Damper (why I didnty think of it) is an ATI unit. Driveshaft loops are installed. Firewall is Stock, This is a Turbo Vehicle. It has a window Net and Chute already. Its an SUV, so can my Battery be mounted inside without a Bulkhead being added if its a sealed AGM type unit? I was mainly looking for what the Clothing requirements are because I don't have any and I have never raced at these speeds. I have the Ultra Bell for my Trans, do I still need a Shield above it? I am doing a Belly Pan vs. an engine diaper so that is covered already as well. Im just trying to make sure I don't miss anything as I plan on making a 10 hour trip for the trucks first race over at MIR next month and I want to have all my ducks in a row.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Even if it is a sealed AGM battery it still needs to be in a sealed battery box or otherwise sealed from the interior and vented to the outside. The box can either be made of metal (0.024" steel or 0.032" aluminum) or an NHRA approved plastic one.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Yes waht MichaelP said about the battery, and no if the Bell SFI is within date you don't need the flexplate shield, but you will need a trans shield or aproved case.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What trans shields are out there for a TH400....and do they fit tight enough to fit inside the tunnel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts