Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello YB!

So finally after a 2 year hiatus my car is finally going to be back on the road and track. I need some advise regarding safety equipment. My helmet is about 6 year old and my fire jacket is just as old, was tight before and probably wont fit now, guessing the same for the pants.

Question? What safety equipment do you recommend? Car is a real street car that will make at least 1000rwhp (hopefully). It has a 8.50 cert cage. I'm not really interested in getting what I need to pass tech as tech where I live is really lax, I'm just interested in what I need to keep myself safe. I know my wife won't complain about $ spent on safety equipment! 馃榿

I'm thinking:
New helmet
Hans device (what type?)
Fire jacket
Fire pants
Gloves
Socks
Shoes

Not sure if I should find a local shop for the clothes or can I just take measurements and order online? Going to need everything in a week or so..

Thanks in advance!

Registered
Assuming you have a parachute. ;)
You should easily be in the 9.99-7.50 ET range. Purchase everything to pass tech, whether they look for it or not. Remember, the NHRA standards are minimum requirements. You can always have more.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming you have a parachute. ;)
You should easily be in the 9.99-7.50 ET range. Purchase everything to pass tech, whether they look for it or not. Remember, the NHRA standards are minimum requirements. You can always have more.
Thanks. That makes sense. Any recommendations on where I should buy the stuff from? Not sure if it's better to go local so I can try on the jacket/pants?

Registered
I personally like Simpson, Alpinestar and Bell. If you want to wait until after October, for a helmet, you can get one that will meet the new Snell SA requirements, if not though, your helmet should be legal until 2027 I think. As far the HANS goes, I'm not a huge fan of it, as for circle track racing that is. The thing I didn't like about it is that the tighter I had the shoulder belts, the more constricted I felt and couldn't drive the car comfortably. This may not be as big of an issue in drag racing until the car gets squirrelly... I would check into maybe the Simpson Hybrid or some other head/neck restraints similar to it. As far as paints and jacket goes, I like the 1 piece suit more since it seals me off more than a 2 piece but I know that a lot of drag racers wear the 2 piece. Whichever you decide, I'd definitely get a double layer and maybe even consider a head sock. May want to check your belts too if they are old while you're at it...

Here's some info on the sfi ratings SFI Specs | SFI Foundation

Registered
Profox Racing is having a sale right now. I just ordered Jacket, Pants, Shoes, Gloves and Head Sock for 597 bucks shipped to me. They will also throw in your choice of either T-Shirt, Work Gloves, or a Cap.

Registered
Everything will be preference, as some stuff fits differently at the same sizes from different manufacturers. If you can, find a place that has different ones for you to try. Here's my suggestions for you:

firesuit, sparco is one of the best. one piece or two is preference. I have a two piece now, but prefer a one piece. Got a deal on my suit that's why I have it....it works....
helmet, impact (I tried bell, simpson, g-force, and two others..this fit the best and was most comfortable.)
shoes and gloves, I have g-force, didn't really notice any difference in the others other than cost
HANS: Personally, they should be mandatory, period. I use the Necksgen Rev. Don't even know its on...Never tried the others but the same thing goes here, try several different ones if you can and get the one that you're most comfortable with.

Registered
Thanks. That makes sense. Any recommendations on where I should buy the stuff from? Not sure if it's better to go local so I can try on the jacket/pants?
Really, are you 12 ? What do you think or want to do . That is your answer. Just like when you were a kid with your mom shopping for back to school cloths, trying on the stuff is always best, BUT there is NOT a race shop that sells fire suits on every corner so you might need to "mail order" one. Good God man.

Banned
ForceFed-C5 you can't go wrong with Simpson or Sparco and you'll find there products being used by the Professional drivers in all Motorsports.

Vendor
Hello YB!

So finally after a 2 year hiatus my car is finally going to be back on the road and track. I need some advise regarding safety equipment. My helmet is about 6 year old and my fire jacket is just as old, was tight before and probably wont fit now, guessing the same for the pants.

Question? What safety equipment do you recommend? Car is a real street car that will make at least 1000rwhp (hopefully). It has a 8.50 cert cage. I'm not really interested in getting what I need to pass tech as tech where I live is really lax, I'm just interested in what I need to keep myself safe. I know my wife won't complain about $ spent on safety equipment! 馃榿

I'm thinking:
New helmet
Hans device (what type?)
Fire jacket
Fire pants
Gloves
Socks
Shoes

Not sure if I should find a local shop for the clothes or can I just take measurements and order online? Going to need everything in a week or so..

Thanks in advance!
ForceFed I am a dealer for just about all brands and would be more than happy to discuss with you what you need and make some recommendations. You can email me or call me would be best from my site. Take a look around and give me a call for a YB discount. I used to sell a lot of stuff on here and am still a "YB Vendor". Marc
www.marschanmotorsports.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts