Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Ok what your opinion on safety equipment- seat belts, helmets, driver suits etc.? Does it really matter which manufacturer if they all meet the required SFI rating?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I have a whole host of criteria’s, but generally I prefer to stick with same vendors I have used in the past,

I also go on;
My personal preference on the product design
Other racers experience
Suppliers credibility, quality of product
Ease of getting retagged.

I have;
Simpson Suit, Gloves & Boots
TRS Seatbelts
Bell Helmet
Hans Device
Simpson Chutes

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a whole host of criteria’s, but generally I prefer to stick with same vendors I have used in the past,

I also go on;
My personal preference on the product design
Other racers experience
Suppliers credibility, quality of product
Ease of getting retagged.

I have;
Simpson Suit, Gloves & Boots
TRS Seatbelts
Bell Helmet
Hans Device
Simpson Chutes
Mopar, thanks for the info. I called simpson and they no longer recert their seat belts, is it the same with their parachutes, or can you recert them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I’m no expert on the matter, and I’m curious what other people’s opinions are. I personally use G-Force belts, helmet, jacket, pants, shoes, and gloves. I have a Simpson parachute. I probably need to look more into the hans devices. I’d like to try some on and see what’s comfortable, easy to put on, take off etc. which one I’d personally like the best before dropping $600 or more on one.

·
Banned
322 Posts
When it comes to safety, I don't look to save $ and I but my safety equipment from the company that started it all and today is still the leader, Simpson

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
My two cents. I just bought a whole new -5 setup from Profox and it looks great. I know you’re not worried about saving money but someone else might be. They are having a sale right now. The whole deal, pants, jacket, gloves, shoes and headsock was 597 bucks, free freight and no tax. I needed the tall size and it’s a few bucks higher so it would be a little less for standard sizes. This was for the nicer jacket and pants. I also wear a Necksgen head and neck device and I like it. Good luck with whatever you pick.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I doubt I'd buy any safety gear labeled Mattel. Other than that, I'm pretty open. Take care. Tom Worthington

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
11 year old Sue-Lee needs a job too. Why not let her sew your safety harness together ?
Sue lee can sew shoes together for Colin Kaepernick, piece of shit, for me its USA! America- home of the free, land of the brave! No other country has ever made horse power like the good old USA. 11,000 HP Top Fuelers, and Funny cars to 1,000 + Hp naturally aspirated big blocks to 10,000 rpm small blocks screaming freedom.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guess I am buying a Simpson helmet. I am shocked as to how many helmets are made in China. Even bell has head quarters in Bahrain, and the US made helmets are made from products produced in China. WTF?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Guess I am buying a Simpson helmet. I am shocked as to how many helmets are made in China. Even bell has head quarters in Bahrain, and the US made helmets are made from products produced in China. WTF?
Not all Simpson helmets are made in the USA. Some are made in China.

·
I kill parts
9,832 Posts
RJS is US made, as is White Safety and Stroud.

I'm not an Impact fan, simply because a lot of people got put in a bad position when they got busted making their own phony SFI tags. - I believe they made right on that, but was still a shady deal and people got stuck having equipment that wasn't legal and races coming up.

Parachutes aren't required to be recert'd. Standard hook & latch belts are typically as much money to reweb/recert as they are to buy new.

I've got RJS belts and -20 boots, just ordered a Sparco -15 jacket. Current pants, jacket, and gloves are -5 G-Force but all getting upgraded. - Just got a Necksgen head/helmet restraint and definitely like it over the regular Hans and others I've tried that either strap down your back and/or have supports that come way down your chest. With the Necksgen, soon as my belts are off I can move even if I don't unlatch it from my helmet.

·
Registered
14,660 Posts
Sue lee can sew shoes together for Colin Kaepernick, piece of shit, for me its USA! America- home of the free, land of the brave! No other country has ever made horse power like the good old USA. 11,000 HP Top Fuelers, and Funny cars to 1,000 + Hp naturally aspirated big blocks to 10,000 rpm small blocks screaming freedom.
Not s
Thanks guys. I want to use American made stuff. I heard that that Race Quip is made in china.
Have a Snickers. The reference to Sue- Lee was sarcasm in response to your " I heard Race Quip is made in China" in your post # 10. That said , I am not sure how you got anything out of my post about ass clown NFL players , 11,000 HP T/F cars , 1000 HP BBC's or sceaming small blocks.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Since my main focus is Time Attack/Hillclimb racing these days where response times can be a lot slower than an 1/8 mile track, I'm probably a bit more anal about safety gear than some.

For helmets, even if its made in China, just go with a reputable brand. Fit is most important, so honestly, I don't think anyone should buy a helmet without trying it on first. I will not buy a Chinese carbon fiber helmet. I know they're popular because they're priced like a mid-range fiberglass helmet, but the QC sucks. I learned my lesson after picking up a carbon fiber Zamp helmet and giving it the knuckle rap test. I found a dry/uncured spot on the helmet where you could literally pucker the shell in and out with your thumb! Summit really helped me on that one and waived their own helmet return policy to get me into something better. Simpson, Bell, Impact, Arai, Stilo are who I limit my searches to these days. I don't bother paying the premium for carbon fiber, even after 20 minute sessions, my head doesn't know the difference.

I will not run without a head and neck restraint anymore. I have seen low speed crashes put friends in the hospital after going nose first into a barrier. There are so many reasonably priced good ones these days, there's no excuse not to use one. I think brand is less important here, and it's all about fit. Seat layback and the size of your neck and chest play the biggest role here. A lot of the adjustable ones will make contact with the bottom of your helmet if you have a short neck. I run a Schroth Flex now, because my neck was too big for the largest NecksGen Rev. Egress is important, so try a friend's HNR and see if you can actually get out of your car with it on. I had issues getting out with a traditional HANS, and the Simpson Hybrid was getting caught on my door latch/window net tabs.

Belts - buy American. There are way, way, way too many fakes of the European stuff, some of which has made its way into the hands of reputable suppliers. Sparco, Willins, etc. are constantly issuing photo notices of how to differentiate the real from the counterfeit. You never see that happening with the US made stuff, which I've noticed also has more substantial hardware 99% of the time.

Suits, shoes, gloves, etc. - as long as they're good SFI tags, it comes down to fit and personal preference. I will not use single layer suits anymore. Most of the European and Chinese made stuff is not designed for us fat bastards in mind, so take that into consideration. Too many people neglect underwear. If you don't want to wear nomex/carbonx underwear, at least be cognizant of what you are wearing. Ever seen the photos of what polyester/nylon t-shirt looks like when it's being peeled off with your skin in a burn unit? It's not a pretty sight.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts