Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know its trivial, but every dollar counts right? i had to disassemble my literally 99% complete 370 because i did something dumb and was wondering if because the gaskets were torqued for a month or so it is necessary to replace them..

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
no copper spray or anything. none of the black sealer should have came off. I would use them on my stuff, but not a paying customer. I've reused GM MLS that had miles on them. re used comics with copper after cleaning them and re copper spray.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I made a dumb mistake with on my motor build and i had to tear the heads off too. They were torqued for a day or so and i re-used them. Then my buddy talked to a guy who works at a GM dealership (as if that matters) and said that as long as they haven't been heated up they are okay to re-use. Apparently the black stuff on the gaskets is a glue that seals them up and it is heat activated. I would re-use them if it were me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
done deal. will reuse them.

·
Registered
49,465 Posts
I don't even want to talk about how many times we reused the gaskets on a particular engine which shall remain nameless.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I have reused gm mls gaskets on my own stuff before, spraying a pretty healthy shot and didnt have any issues. Id say they will be fine.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doubt it makes much difference if the gasket is in any way weakened, im going for 1000+hp on 317 heads to through a th400, theyre gonna leak anyways right?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shum, im this guy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts