Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone out there has/or knows anyone that has a pacemaker or ICD (Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator)?
My father (retired mechanic) is possibly getting one, but is flat out pissed about it because they say he can't do the things he enjoys without risks anymore.
I'm a concerned son looking for some answers.
Apparantly he was told, no more welding, but if he does weld it needs to be 2 feet from his chest and under 130 amps.
He can't work on any running engines anymore, especially ones with electronic ignitions like his '70 Cobra Torino with the petronix, or my race Ranger with MSD.
He needs to stay away from magnets like in car stereo speakers, and stay away from alternators as well.

I figured he can't be the only guy out there who needs one that works on engines right?

Just looking for a little feedback on this if you know anything about it or know of anyone who has one in this field.

I feel for the old guy, this is his passion and he refuses to give it up.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Used to be that you couldn't get a MRI if you had one because the MRI would melt the wires. They have overcome that so I wonder about some of the other "problems".

·
Gettin' tired of the shit
23,424 Posts
I think I would talk to his doctor with those questions instead of asking people on here about something that important.

Good luck

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
My dad has one and can no longer weld according to the doctors. I'd imagine you'd have to be careful around all electronics..but welding is the only thing he'll have to cross off the list that i'm aware of.

The doc will give him a list of do's n' don'ts.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
We cut them off with magnets, that is the reason he needs to stay away from them. I wouldn't imagine other electronics hurting it, even tasers don't seem to effect them.

Remember, Dr's don't like to get sued, so they tell you the absolute safest way to do things. It's called precautions. Just like talking on a cell phone while filling up your gas tank. Don't you think that electric fuel pump that is in your tank is more of a hazard?

·
Gas Passer
4,943 Posts
I do anesthesia for a living. The problem is all of the things his doctor mentioned can interfere with the operation of the pacemaker/defibrillator. We keep a magnet nearby in the OR to turn off the pacemaker/defibrillator if it goes haywire. If the surgeon is going to bovie (an electrical device used to cauterize bleeding vessels/tissue) above the waist, it is recommended to turn off the pacemaker/defibrillator during the case. If the defibrillator were to discharge at an improper time due to interference, it could stop the heart all together or put his heart into a lethal rhythm. Any electrical device has the capability of interfering with the proper operation of the device (through inductance). The greater the amperage, the greater the risk. Your doctors are not blowing smoke up your father's ass! He would do well to heed their warnings. James

·
Registered
681 Posts
x1000 on talking to the MD. Depending on the manufacturer and what the settings are, restrictions can vary a little from person to person.

On a side note...

I hope you guys dont honestly think youre "turning off" a pacemaker with a magent, because you arent. What youre in all likelihood actually doing is just switching it to asynchronous mode. There are some ICD's that a magnet will actually turn off the dysrhythmia detection capabilities thus "turning off" the ICD, but I dont think there are very many, if any, pacemakers that are actually turned off by a magnet.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Is he willing to die for it? Why can't he do other things with cars like drive them and enjoy them? If I had something in my chest that if it phucked up it would kill me, I would stay away from those dangers. It would really suck, but I would rather live then continue to bust my knuckles. :/

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well I have had one since 1986. I played baseball, basketball, soccer, raced dirt bikes and four wheelers. I have been welding for 10my yrs, I work on my own car with motor running, and I drive also. 4.40's @ 155 in the 1/8th and I have never had a problem.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Well I have had one since 1986. I played baseball, basketball, soccer, raced dirt bikes and four wheelers. I have been welding for 10my yrs, I work on my own car with motor running, and I drive also. 4.40's @ 155 in the 1/8th and I have never had a problem.
My older brother has had one for 6yrs. Doesn't play the sports but does work on the car and drives it. I agree with asking the doctor the same questions. Hope things go well for him.

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
One thing worth noting to all the tough motherphuckers out there....if you see one of those things discharge, you'll quickly change your mind about what you are doing.

It's fucking brutal. Don't ask how I know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts