Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Costco 40"x60" safe to store my reloading stuff in.....
Then all of a sudden I'm wondering if I just screwed up?

My thoughts were that it would be "fire resistant" in the event of a fire.

Now after thinking about it - is it actually just a big bomb because if it gets hot enough for all the gun powder to cook off - it has no where for the expanding gases to go? I don't know how hot that would have to be, but did I make a mistake? Maybe I shouldn't store all the powder in this thing afterall?

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Nah, you're fine. If you're truly worried about it, build a 3" cast iron tube going outside, with a vent on it. Not too long and not too many bends. Then the problem is humidity coming in. I bet they make a valve that keeps the air only going one way that would keep outside air in its place. Just like a blast cabinet. Google!

·
Registered
32,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, you're fine. If you're truly worried about it, build a 3" cast iron tube going outside, with a vent on it. Not too long and not too many bends. Then the problem is humidity coming in. I bet they make a valve that keeps the air only going one way that would keep outside air in its place. Just like a blast cabinet. Google!
Thanks!

I guess I was over-thinking it.

·
Registered
32,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wanna take it out for a skid test ? ;)
Not if I can help it! LOL

I'm glad yours turned out OK.
Time for a custom paint job on that baby!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I touched up the top back edge but that’s all. My friend is dying to come over & pinstripe it. Eh.
I did install the power supply & plug I ordered & never put in. Good thing- cord exited the rear & would have been shredded. Now it has a powered dehumidifier.... right next to a box of ammo. Just kidding.

·
1,879 Posts

·
Registered
32,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
32,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Banned
119,191 Posts

·
Registered
32,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh come on. I have a new strap & experience. ;)
Well if THAT one gets loose on the grapevine - you're gonna need a LOT more guys!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
You can fix your humidity issue by going to Cabelas and getting a Dry Rod,the Dry Rod will go to about 130* that might become a problem with your gun powder igniting.

·
Registered
32,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can fix your humidity issue by going to Cabelas and getting a Dry Rod,the Dry Rod will go to about 130* that might become a problem with your gun powder igniting.
Lucky for us we live in Dry Dry Dry Arizona.
Then our AC systems suck even more moisture out of the air.
I have dessicant packets that will work just fine I think.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
They also sell safe doors. Basically, it's a door and frame like your house door, so the trick is to build your walls tough enough to not be the weak link. I've dreamed of making a safe room. I have dreamt up some really good ideas to make a room very difficult to break in or shoot through, without spending a million dollars. I'd prefer a basement, but not a lot of those in Az.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts