Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think a single s480 with an 80mm wheel with extended tip and a 1.32 AR housing will support a 557 inch BBC on the street and make 1000hp at the tires? Will I have room to grow with this turbo or will I be at its max?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I think it will make the hp you are looking for. But I would put twin 60mm wastegates on that thing or you will have some back pressure issues. If it was me I would maybe spend alittle more and get a used 101mm or 106mm with a g-trim 1.50 A/R housing. There are plenty of those floating around on this site. Or check on turbomustangs.com But it will work. Do you already have this turbo? Your setup will max out that turbo pretty easy.

·
Registered
508 Posts
A single S480 will choke the hell out of it. Just because the turbo claims to support 1200hp doesn't mean it will do that on any given motor.

You really need to match how much air your motor requires at what ever your max rpm is to the amount of boost your going to run. At that point you can then figure out what is going to work for you.

Just my $.02 :p Sounds like a fun build.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
You need to look a turbo volume not just hp support.
A single is going to equal alot of back pressure. No amount of w/g's will fix excessive b/p just mask the real issue.
Toss a pair of S475 B/W on that thing. $1200 for the pair.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right now I have a D1sc Procharger on the motor (I know, way to small). Haven't bought a turbo yet but want to instead of swapping to an F2. Wound a single 106mm work or should I stick with twins like the 475s? Heres the engine specs.

557 inch BBC
4.5 inch Bowtie Block
4.375 Callies crank
AFR 305 heads with Tulip upgrade
Flat top Diamonds 9:1
Dart single plane
Crane Hydro Roller. .632 .632 254/264

Car is street driven and max rpm is 6K. Whats the best turbo combo? I'd like to stick with BW units if possible but don't want to skimp on quality. I'm also going to run water injection.

·
To Boost or not to Boost?
2,245 Posts
Right now I have a D1sc Procharger on the motor (I know, way to small). Haven't bought a turbo yet but want to instead of swapping to an F2. Wound a single 106mm work or should I stick with twins like the 475s? Heres the engine specs.

557 inch BBC
4.5 inch Bowtie Block
4.375 Callies crank
AFR 305 heads with Tulip upgrade
Flat top Diamonds 9:1
Dart single plane
Crane Hydro Roller. .632 .632 254/264

Car is street driven and max rpm is 6K. Whats the best turbo combo? I'd like to stick with BW units if possible but don't want to skimp on quality. I'm also going to run water injection.

Def go with larger twins or a big Single 106 or billet 114mm:-Daw That engines too large for that small of a single it will be very inefficient. I dont know much but thats my 2 cents;)

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
I have twin s480's going on a BBC 485cid and I'm afraid their going to be to small.

Mark, your trying to make more than 1k..... :cool:
I'll let you know about the racecovers too!

A pair of S475 are the min just to have enough volume of air and support some hp. A 557 could use a pair of 91mm. A pair of S480 would be the next option if you are looking for room to grow.

·
الكتاب ا
6,697 Posts
6000 RPM with a 4.375" stroke might be a little too much for that turbo... but the thing would be an Absolute BEAST up to about 3500 RPM. LOL

If it's a streetcar, you'd probably be okay with the next size up, but the compressor size is not what I'd be looking at, as the 80mm will support the airflow and then some. I'd have to see the turbine wheels and which turbine housings are offered before I'd make a decision.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Mark, your trying to make more than 1k..... :cool:
I'll let you know about the racecovers too!

A pair of S475 are the min just to have enough volume of air and support some hp. A 557 could use a pair of 91mm. A pair of S480 would be the next option if you are looking for room to grow.
I didn't think about it that way! Robert you have a pm over on the turbo forums, about the covers.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
A S400-80 flows 120lbs/min. That is all.....no magic turbo. Way to small for that size motor if you are trying to make any real power. Single 106 or 114. 106 right now would be my choice until more 114's are out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts