Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
haven't done any research yet. Starting here for any thoughts or suggestions.

Just bought a 2002 s-10 stepside with 4cyl engine in it. the lady has 3 vehicles, and hardly drove this one. 106k miles. Had an issue with the headlights going out and so she let me buy it to fix and sell. scored it for 1500 (and its been a texas truck its whole life)

simple ground issue solved the headlight problem, but now I'm thinking of dropping a 350 in it.

Looking for a fun sort of daily driver, 325-375hp at the wheels.

I'm a welder/fabricator/backyard mechanic/know-it-all so no issues making things fit (i don't think)

Suggestions? Opinions?

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
transdapt makes a drop in kit with everything needed including the radiator. They make one for LS as well if you want one of those instead of a gen 1 sbc. some of there kits include headers as well.

·
LS Powah!
11,089 Posts
haven't done any research yet. Starting here for any thoughts or suggestions.

Just bought a 2002 s-10 stepside with 4cyl engine in it. the lady has 3 vehicles, and hardly drove this one. 106k miles. Had an issue with the headlights going out and so she let me buy it to fix and sell. scored it for 1500 (and its been a texas truck its whole life)

simple ground issue solved the headlight problem, but now I'm thinking of dropping a 350 in it.

Looking for a fun sort of daily driver, 325-375hp at the wheels.

I'm a welder/fabricator/backyard mechanic/know-it-all so no issues making things fit (i don't think)

Suggestions? Opinions?
Hope you don't live in an area that does emission testing.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
transdapt makes a drop in kit with everything needed including the radiator. They make one for LS as well if you want one of those instead of a gen 1 sbc. some of there kits include headers as well.
I don't know a damn thing about chevy motors. Just something serviceable and not too complicated

If you know it all,why ask? :p
See above. Turns out I don't know jack!

Hope you don't live in an area that does emission testing.
I live in the mini california of texas so they do depending on which mexican inspection station you go to!

·
LS Powah!
11,089 Posts

·
Registered
22,179 Posts
I would think that no more than a visual inspection would flunk it!

Since S10's never came with V-8's in them that I know of??

Please school me here if I am wrong.

pdq67

·
Banned
14,510 Posts
I would think that no more than a visual inspection would flunk it!

Since S10's never came with V-8's in them that I know of??

Please school me here if I am wrong.

pdq67
No S10 had a v8. 4.3 was the big motor.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I had an '82 S10 before they made swap kits & it was pretty simple even then. I'd say do it BUT like others said, if you have to go through emissions, good luck. Here it wasn't the visual that made it an issue but the actual pollutants it put out. Since the truck was a originally a six cylinder it had to meet the emissions of a six. With 355 cubes, the old L79 cam & a crossram :))) it just couldn't make it. With today's technology, a smaller cam & carb I think you could get away with it. The one thing I'd strongly suggest----get a REAL good radiator no matter what you put in it...…..

·
Registered
28,159 Posts
Cheapest fun you’ll ever have.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I've pondered the same thing when I owned a 2003 S10. I live in an area of strict emission checks and was told it would pass if the engine still had ALL the stock emission controls in place.

A gas swap passing emissions testing seemed very doable but the conversation turned into a real cluster fuck when I inquired about putting a TDI diesel in my S10. Now with that said each state is different.

While not the cheap way to go, Holley has all kinds of parts that make putting a LS into an S10 a simple bolt in task.

motor mounts, headers, exhaust systems, acc. drives, oil pans, modified heater box to clear coil, steering shaft, trans mounts, etc.

https://www.holley.com/products/engine_swap_parts/ls_swap_systems/1982-04_gm_s-10_sonoma_2wd_ls_swap_components/

·
The Liquor Makes Me Think
3,154 Posts
v8 in a s10? Nahhh. Never been done. cant do it. Dont bother googling it.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts