Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use for rust penetrant? I live where it doesn't snow and we don't have the salt and corrosion problems here but sometimes we get a car from up north that is one big rust bucket. Any bolt on the outside you have to take off is covered in rust. We use spray Kroil most of the time..just wondering if there is a better one.

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
PB Blaster from Napa.

·
Registered
761 Posts
CRC sells a product called FreezeOff. It contains CO2 and a penetrant ...the CO2 shrinks the bolt and the penetrant goes in the threads. I know this is a horrible explaination but, it's all i got right now! Nevertheless, it really works good! Nothing is worse that having a rusted, rotten piece of shit that you HAVE to deal with!! anyway, Good luck!

·
Un-Official YB Tormentor
5,087 Posts
PB Blaster.
Thats all we get is rusty shitty bolts. Wouldnt know what to do if it werent for cutting rust out and replacing shit all the time...
Wait till the bolt is almost rusted through, and it snaps when you look at it. Then, drilling rust is harder than carbide!

Why do you think we buy Virginia cars? LOL

One quick tip when dealing with rust. On blind holes, hit the head with a big hammer a few times to break it loose. On a nut, use a piece of thick wall tubing bigger than the bolt, but smaller then the nut. (I keep 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" pipe nipples around just for that.) Put it over the bolt, so it lands on just the nut and whack that good and hard a fewtimes. Run a die up as far as you can, including turning it over and running it up. Then pray. If successful, you have to pay homage to the rust gods for being gracious enough to allow you to remove it. Typical homage is downing at LEAST a six pack. Repeat homage, if necessary.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We've been using Kroil but I think I'll get some PB also, our parts dept. has an account with NAPA. We don't get too much rust around here but when we do it's usually a car from up north.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts