Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new short block today, unwrapped 1 head to check p/v clearance. All of the valve springs are corroded with rust. Ordered new springs. How can I keep this from happening again?
All parts and car are in an unheated garage with the doors closed in cold weather. Heads were wrapped in saran wrap for about a month.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Don't wrap parts in saran wrap or plastic. Temperature changes will cause condensation to form inside the plastic, especially in humid climates. Oil the parts, wrap in newspaper and store in brown paper bags or cardboard boxes.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
I've had zero luck wrapping stuff up tight in ANYTHING. Whatever you put it in will retain moisture. My advice is to treat the item with rust preventative, and store it loosely in a box or something without any machined surfaces resting against anything. Either this, or LUBE THE HELL OUT OF IT, DRIPPING WET... and store it in a sealed bag. I soak engine blocks super well in oil, then store them in a trash bag... and if it isn't in a temperature controlled environment, you STILL need to check on it.

All this being said, below is a test of 46 rust preventatives. It is a VERY thorough test! Some of your favorites may have gotten embarrassed. Some neat surprises. I have some of them, and if I were storing engine parts for a fairly long term, WD-40 makes a specific 'rust preventative' that is a lot thicker than their regular stuff that works extremely well. There is another product you can't hardly even tell is on the part that is supposed to be the best. Good Read!

46 rust inhibitors tested against each other.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I run the ac in the shed, even in the winter. Even living on the humid Gulf Coast, I don't have problems with moisture or things rusting. I have too much invested in everything in there to worry about a few dollars on the power bill.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Fog it good, no way to keep condensation from forming when block gets cold then air warms in an unheated shed.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Got my new short block today, unwrapped 1 head to check p/v clearance. All of the valve springs are corroded with rust. Ordered new springs. How can I keep this from happening again?
All parts and car are in an unheated garage with the doors closed in cold weather. Heads were wrapped in saran wrap for about a month.
I think i would have soaked them in some evapo rust and used them. There is no way they could be that bad after a month.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Yeah, keep all of your parts in the house. Under the bed is a good location LOL . . . . .

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts