Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We run NGK-10 plugs in our EFI 565 and are spraying it with 325 hp with a dry kit. We just ran our best ET on the weekend (7.69 @ 178mph). While inspecting the plugs tonight we noticed that there was rust at the base of the plugs where the porcelain meets the metal. Any ideas what causes this? The plugs have been sitting for 5 days in the motor, would condensation have done this?

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
mine does the same thing its from when u shut the engine down the plugs get wet with fuel and when it evaporates sometimes the plug will rust but normally when the plugs sit in the engine for awhile its not a problem

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I had some rust on #6 plug. Heated up motor and let sit overnite and pulled plug and cranked over and found nothing. put pressure tester on it and and 45 min. later there was water comming out. only leaked when it was cold.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
rust

One of the guys I race with had this exact same problem. It got worse (water on the plug and oxidation in the exhaust port)and he thought he munched a MLS head gasket. Turns out the cylinder head porter got a touch deep on the exhaust pocket and it cracked through to the water port. I hope that isn't your problem!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your opinions on this...if it was only 1 or 2 plugs that showed the rust I would be very concerned. Since it is all 8 plugs that show the circle of rust around the base of the porcelain at the fuel ring I think this is due to condensation. We are not losing any water and the performance of the car is not falling off, we actually get quicker every time we go out since I am starting to get a handle on this EFI/N2O combination. Again thanks for your input.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
All Plugs

Yeah, if it's all the plugs then I wouldn't think it was a leakage problem. I didn't get the idea it was all of them for some reason when I originally read your post.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts