Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
What? I know your post is riddled with details, but I'm still having a little trouble deciphering exactly what you're getting at.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.agi.it/world/news/200808081452-cro-ren0053-art.html

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jGKb8-JI33G_pN5LerJd0MPWl8Jw

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...invaded-and-we-are-under-attack-13934899.html

Georgia: Russia has invaded and we are under attack

</EM>
Troops and tanks move towards capital as conflict escalates
By Gary Fennelly
Friday, 8 August 2008

Members of the Georgian Commando Battalion move into position during a night raid exercise at a training range in 2002
  • enlarge
SearchSearch Go
Bookmark & Share

What are these?

Change font size: A | A | A

A convoy of Russian tanks and troops is reportedly moving toward South Ossetia's capital as Moscow and Tbilisi move towards all-out war.

An official in Georgia's National Security Council said Russia has invaded Georgia and the two countries are very close to war, if not already at war.
Kakha Lamaia said: "If it's not war, then we are very close to it. The Russians have invaded Georgia and we are under attack."
Georgian President Mikhail Saakasvili told CNN: "Russia is fighting a war with us in our own territory."
"This is a clear intrusion on another country's territory. We have Russian tanks on our territory, jets on our territory in broad daylight,"
Mr Saakashvili has called on reservists to sign up for duty. He said "150 Russian tanks, armoured personnel carriers and other vehicles" have entered South Ossetia.
The Georgian government said it will try to protect Russian peacekeepers who were already in the region.
However Russia claims that 10 peacekeepers have been killed.
Reports from Georgia claim Russian jets have attacked an airport near Tblisi.
Nato, the US and the EU are calling for an immediate end to hostilities.
Earlier Georgia claimed to have shot down two Russian war planes as the two countries fight for control of the breakaway province of South Ossetia.
Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has vowed to protect Russian citizens in the region.
Medvedev said: "In accordance with the constitution and the federal law, I, as president of Russia, am obliged to protect the lives and dignity of Russian citizens wherever they are located," Mr Medvedev said in televised remarks.
"We won't allow the death of our compatriots to go unpunished."
Georgian troops are currently observing a three-hour ceasefire to let civilians leave the besieged capital, Tskhinvali.
Mikheil Saakashvili, the Georgian president, said most of South Ossetia had been "liberated" in an overnight offensive.
"Most of South Ossetia's territory is liberated and is controlled by Georgia," Saakashvili said in televised comments today.
"Russian flights are ongoing in the centre of Tskhinvali (the South Ossetian capital)... I demand Russia stop bombardment of peaceful Georgian cities."
Video from Russia Today

According to the Russian agency Interfax, a large group of Georgian soldiers moved towards the breakaway capital, Tskhinvali, late yesterday evening.
The separatist President, Eduard Kokoity, told the agency that "the storming of Tskhinvali has started" and said that separatist forces were engaged with the Georgian army on the roads into the city. A statement on the separatist government's website said: "The assault is coming from all directions."
The fear is that Russia could be drawn into the conflict, with previous foreign ministry statements saying that Russia could not remain "indifferent" to an armed skirmish on its southern border. Already late last night there were reports that hundreds of volunteers were on their way from North Ossetia, which is part of Russia, through the Caucasus Mountains to join their ethnic kin in South Ossetia. The leadership of Abkhazia, Georgia's other breakaway state, said that 1,000 volunteers from Abkhazia were also on their way.
Where is Georgia?

View Larger Map
South Ossetia is a tiny territory with a population of around 50,000, which broke away from Georgia after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Most of the region is under the control of separatist authorities but the central Georgian government in Tbilisi controls several villages. Tensions have been high in recent months, with frequent exchanges of fire between the sides, but so far all-out war has been avoided. An exchange of fire on Wednesday night left at least one person dead and many injured.
The West has supported Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili, who wants to bring his country out of Russia's orbit and into Nato, in his drive to reintegrate the breakaway regions of South Ossetia and Abkhazia into Georgia's fold. However, any military action could harm the country's chances of Nato accession. Russia has provided financial support to the separatist authorities.
It now seems the Georgians may have tired of negotiations and decided to take matters into their own hands. But the timing is bizarre. Negotiations between the separatist authorities and a Georgian minister were planned for this afternoon, and the attack on Tskhinvali came just hours after Mr Saakashvili had announced a unilateral ceasefire on live television.
"I want to acknowledge that several hours ago I, as a supreme commander, have issued a very painful order not to return fire in response to a very intensive shelling [of Georgian villages]," said the Georgian President yesterday evening.
But the ceasefire lasted only hours and Mr Kokoity called Mr Saakashvili's ceasefire a "despicable and treacherous" ruse.
"Despite our call for peace and a unilateral ceasefire, separatists continued the shelling of Georgian villages," said Georgian commander Mamuka Kurashvili. "We are forced to restore constitutional order in the whole region."
And Moscow reacted furiously to the news. "The actions by Georgia in South Ossetia bear witness to the fact that the leadership of that country can no longer be trusted," said a foreign ministry statement.
The Georgian government said it had information about "hundreds of mercenaries, tanks and other equipment" entering South Ossetia through the Roki tunnel from Russia.

Post a comment

Limit: 500 characters, left: 1000
View all comments that have been posted about this article
CommentComment text: Your details* Name (only this field displayed)
* Email
* Town/City
* Country/State
* Required field
Remember Me

Offensive or abusive comments will be removed and your IP address logged and may be used to prevent further submissions. In submitting a comment to the site, you agree to be bound by BelfastTelegraph.co.uk's Terms of Use

I didnt think it was fashionable for our German cousins to get involved in affairs of an eastern nature anymore due to their unfortunate habit of trying to stay there. Must be the weather.
Complain about this comment
Posted by Plato | 08.08.08, 13:06 GMT

Post a complaint

Please note Name and E-mail are required.
Contact details* Name: * Email:
To me very sadly to look that occurs. But we cannot simply sit and look, how peace people, my compatriots perish. I hope, that such all the dear countries of the Europe as Germany can help us.
Complain about this comment
Posted by Nikita | 08.08.08, 09:15 GMT

Post a complaint

Please note Name and E-mail are required.
Contact details* Name: * Email:

Also in this section

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
Oh That georgia, I though they landed in Atlanta
x2. LoL. I was going to say, they have no idea what they just walked into. 50,000 drunk Bulldog fans with rifles.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
x2. LoL. I was going to say, they have no idea what they just walked into. 50,000 drunk Bulldog fans with rifles.
They wouldn't make much progress in Atlanta. They would just be stuck on the interstate with the rest of the idiots there

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
LOL ya tht was funny shit :eek:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
This is a great opportunity for us to mind our own fucking business this time! :smt115

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The South would be the WRONG place for a foreign power to start an invasion. Guys down here already look for every excuse to yell "Hey y'all...WATCH THIS!". If there were real targets involved, I imagine we'd stamp them out pretty quickly.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
i thought it was part of russia , did it become it,s own country when communism took a huge fall yrs back and a bunch of countries split into smaller countries ??

·
Another Nobody
11,806 Posts
The South would be the WRONG place for a foreign power to start an invasion. Guys down here already look for every excuse to yell "Hey y'all...WATCH THIS!". If there were real targets involved, I imagine we'd stamp them out pretty quickly.
Wrong mexico has been invading the south for years.

·
Spiritual Gynocologist
80,189 Posts
Nicky's on jihad!

·
from across the pond...
6,951 Posts
it's about oil and gas.Georgia has a huge reserve of it and sells it to Russia...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts