Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who does it and how much power is it worth over a quality and properly sized breather? A friend keeps telling me to take off my big 14" diameter 5" tall k&n because it will pick up though I'm not totally convinced especially after having dead bugs under my hood with the filter on

What do you guys do?

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Put a filter on that's sized for sufficient airflow. Your cylinder walls, pistons, and rings will thank you. As dyno testing has shown, you'll not lose any power.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Put a filter on it and tune it properly and you will be fine. Carburators have very small air bleed that do not need dirt or film making them smaller.

·
Registered
315 Posts
go to a divisional or national event and tell me how many air filters you see on stock, super stock, comp and pro stock cars.;)

My cylinder walls, pistons and rings have never shown ill effects from not running an air filter. you will lose is consistency and ET if that matters to you.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Well with out the K&N my car was 1.5 MPH faster in the 1/4 I use a screen to keep the bugs & rocks out.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
So how often do you think the guys running stock, super stock, comp and pro stock clean all the passages in their carbs. I don't understand why the stock and super stock guys do not run air filters, because they all run under the index and dial in anyway. There is absolutely no reason for any car that runs on a dial in to not have an air cleaner.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Monkey see, monkey do.:rolleyes:

As stated before a properly sized air filter will not cost you any power.

Some of the tracks I race at are pretty dusty. I wouldn't even think about not running one. It would only take one rock getting kicked up to cause alot of problems.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Monkey see, monkey do.:rolleyes:

As stated before a properly sized air filter will not cost you any power.

Some of the tracks I race at are pretty dusty. I wouldn't even think about not running one. It would only take one rock getting kicked up to cause alot of problems.
At a dusty track yes I would run one, and also it depends on your setup, my 383 ran better with the K&N filter, but my 408 run better with out, 383 had a 4150, the 408 has a 4500.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The K and N filters that I have used have always been pretty restrictive. I use a wix 16x4 racing filters. Back to back passes I saw no difference in et. I did see differences when I ran a 14 inch filter though. I find little pebbles in my air pan all the time. I guess for me this is common sense, but lately doesn't seem to be a lot of that going around. Its your motor, you have decide what chances you are willing to take with it.

·
23,395 Posts
Who does it and how much power is it worth over a quality and properly sized breather? A friend keeps telling me to take off my big 14" diameter 5" tall k&n because it will pick up though I'm not totally convinced especially after having dead bugs under my hood with the filter on

What do you guys do?

What kind of racing are you doing?
If your bracket racing I wouldn't crank the motor without one.
In fact, I wouldn't crank the motor without one in any case that I was paying for it. Use the K&N that also has the Top Cover as part of the filter and you will never have a problem.
If your running first to the finish, that would be the only way I could see not running with a filter and even then the air system and ducting has to be properly designed to have an advantage of a properly filtered system.

·
A.K.A. MEAN Matt
3,581 Posts
you will lose is consistency and ET if that matters to you.

Bull shit.

Your wrong.

I've run my stuff with and without and never saw a difference.

I don't care what a Stock/Super stock or Pro stock racer runs or doesn't run for an air filter. I make more runs in a month bracket racing than they do all year. I think I'll keep what ever dirt and stuff out of my engine.

Do what you want Ed, but don't give bad advice.

·
A.K.A. MEAN Matt
3,581 Posts
And they tow there stuff to the lanes and back from a run with a scoop plug in so no chance of any dirt getting in there at the top notch facilities those Pro stocks run at.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Well with out the K&N my car was 1.5 MPH faster in the 1/4 I use a screen to keep the bugs & rocks out.

wtf? that might stop a baby robin from entering your engine.......maybe! lol

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
run an air cleaner............just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Depending on the car, I think there is consistency to be had by running the proper filter,base and lid. If you have a car with alot of weird air currents around the carb, your fuel curve will be all over the place. I run egts in all my cylinders and before running the filter and base, egts were all over the place and the o2 traces were rough. I had tried different things to get them to even up. I added the filter, and immediately saw them all tighten up and saw a smoothing of the o2 traces. My opinion, the air filter will equalize the environment that the carb sees. This will ensure that all the bleeds and fuel bowl vents will see the same atmospheric pressure which will allow it to be more consistent in metering fuel. May not have increased power, but I feel there was definitely some consistency.

I wouldn't put much stock into the wannabe classracer has to say, like I said, for me its common sense to protect your investment.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I agree with running an air filter. On my application I'm not sure I would miss much without one, but watching a couple of errant rocks fly right into my Hemi scoop was enough to convince me to keep one on.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Because of hood clearance issues I run a 1.5" K&N with one of their filtered covers. I have since heard that the extreme lids mess up the air flow. Dunno?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts