Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had a problem running a check valve in their oil return line AFTER the scavenge pump? I started with no check valves and there was some seepage when sitting. I put check valves from McMaster Carr both on the oil feed line and after the scavenge pump and oil started dripping out of the exhaust side while running. I pulled the post scavenge pump check valve off and it seemed to clear up. I'm running a Turbowerx EXA pump.

The valve post pump was 3/8 NPT in and out. My only other thought is all that oil collected in the exhaust housing when it was sitting over the last week(with no check valves) and started dripping out when running.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
That is possible, without a better description hard to say what is needed or where. A Schematic always helps showing any height differences, hose lengths etc...to identify potential oil traps that could cause issue.

Although if you're rear mount as you seem to suggest ( but dont actually say ? ) then best to drain into a reservoir and scavenge from there.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is possible, without a better description hard to say what is needed or where. A Schematic always helps showing any height differences, hose lengths etc...to identify potential oil traps that could cause issue.

Although if you're rear mount as you seem to suggest ( but dont actually say ? ) then best to drain into a reservoir and scavenge from there.
The turbo drain is already the lowest part on the car so I can't really put a reservoir. This photo should help...

I had the check valve screwed in to the outlet port of the pump. It had a 1 psi cracking pressure. I'm wondering if having the check valve immediately after the pump made it hard for the pump to prime.

·
Registered
16,756 Posts
Anyone had a problem running a check valve in their oil return line AFTER the scavenge pump? I started with no check valves and there was some seepage when sitting. I put check valves from McMaster Carr both on the oil feed line and after the scavenge pump and oil started dripping out of the exhaust side while running. I pulled the post scavenge pump check valve off and it seemed to clear up. I'm running a Turbowerx EXA pump.

The valve post pump was 3/8 NPT in and out. My only other thought is all that oil collected in the exhaust housing when it was sitting over the last week(with no check valves) and started dripping out when running.
Must be a Vegas issue :p . I never had a problem not running check valves

·
Registered
16,756 Posts
The turbo drain is already the lowest part on the car so I can't really put a reservoir. This photo should help...

I had the check valve screwed in to the outlet port of the pump. It had a 1 psi cracking pressure. I'm wondering if having the check valve immediately after the pump made it hard for the pump to prime.
Where is the outlet line going 2 ?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts

Thats my old setup, turbowerx pump is behind pass side tire, bolted to fbody spare tire well. I had some oil leakage out the turbine wheel i think from the drain setup not being totally down and level, or a possible kink in the line.

But for most part it was fine

·
Registered
16,756 Posts
It goes to the factory breather tube on the pass side valve cover by the oil fill. Both valve covers have open breathers.
That should be fine where is your feed line hook 2 ? I have a reservoir if you want to try it just need to figure out a way to make it fit :p

·
Registered
14,053 Posts
Don't know from experience, so I am just putting this out there for consideration....Does the scavenge pump have a time circuit on shut down? If not could it be that your pressure feed line to the turbo is maintaining pressure/feed every time you shut off and with the pump stopped the oil is pushing past the seal....this could really be an issue if you have a oil accumulator reservoir hooked to the same location the turbo line is ?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That should be fine where is your feed line hook 2 ? I have a reservoir if you want to try it just need to figure out a way to make it fit :p
The oil supply to the turbo is right above the filter on that cooler delete plate. I've got to drive it around a bit more before deciding if I still have an issue. Need to burn all the oil out of the exhaust. When I wrapped it up Thursday it was raining so I couldn't take it for a spin.

Thanks for the offer on the reservoir. I may have to go that route. I'll let you know!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't know from experience, so I am just putting this out there for consideration....Does the scavenge pump have a time circuit on shut down? If not could it be that your pressure feed line to the turbo is maintaining pressure/feed every time you shut off and with the pump stopped the oil is pushing past the seal....this could really be an issue if you have a oil accumulator reservoir hooked to the same location the turbo line is ?
I've been making a habit of cycling the key a few times after shut down. I've got the scavenge pump relay wired to the fuel pump relay trigger. No accumulator on this.

·
Registered
313 Posts
use an old school turbo timer for the scavenge pumps.....problem will be solved. And a small tank/accumulator should be used.

·
Registered
16,756 Posts
The oil supply to the turbo is right above the filter on that cooler delete plate. I've got to drive it around a bit more before deciding if I still have an issue. Need to burn all the oil out of the exhaust. When I wrapped it up Thursday it was raining so I couldn't take it for a spin.

Thanks for the offer on the reservoir. I may have to go that route. I'll let you know!
Just let me know on the reservoir I also have a tilton pump you can try
Sometimes they seem to prime better

1 - 17 of 17 Posts