Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if people are running 2 stages and not using an MSD 7531 box, and how are they doing it?? I'm planning on running 2 stages, I have a digital 7, the basic one, and bought a digital retard box to piggy back it for more timing retards, way cheaper than buying a new MSD 7531 for $800+. I guess if I really had too, and sold my stuff, after a few months of saving, could probably buy that guccii box....
Gary G.

·
T/S 368E
33,405 Posts

706", 2 big stages with a 7AL-2 box and old style multi-retard.
I never ran it like that, but the guys I bought the car from ran very fast for many years with that box.

·
Registered
996 Posts
not sure what a 7531 is, but wouldnt a simple 6al and a multi retard box. like a 3 step retard by msd. thats what ive got, im way old school though..

·
workin it
7,778 Posts
Gary, I don't know if you remember me, but I have the 1969 firebird from back in San Diego...I have run 2 systems for a long dang time with nothing more(at one time) than a 6al and a timing computer with an adjustable timing retard. Ran both systems as one until I just put the 540 back in, instead of the pontiac...pulled all the timing out at the hit, usually 17-19* from40* total...never a problem

·
6,384 Posts
I was wondering if people are running 2 stages and not using an MSD 7531 box, and how are they doing it?? I'm planning on running 2 stages, I have a digital 7, the basic one, and bought a digital retard box to piggy back it for more timing retards, way cheaper than buying a new MSD 7531 for $800+. I guess if I really had too, and sold my stuff, after a few months of saving, could probably buy that guccii box....
Gary G.
The numbers below in my sig were ran on a 7AL-3 and a 2 stage Speedtech Plate in a 3k pound outlaw radial car. We have since put a power grid in the car and after the issues we had at No Mercy this weekend I was really wishing the AL-3 was still in the car!!

A pair of Edelbrock Progressives can make life easy without a programmable ignition.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Forget all the 7531 junk, add on retards, etc...just buy a Power Grid and be done with it. Better capabilities than anything out there.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
do you run the power grid with the 7 al2 or 3?
I run the Power Grid with the ignition box that goes with it. 7720/7730

10.5 does the same.

I put just the controller on a friends car the other day piggy backed onto a 7al-3 and it works awesome. Also gives him data logging.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is a "power grid" able to piggy back my digital 7? Where can I get more info. on it? Search the bullet, or just yahoo?? I do think i'll be buying a progressive controller in the future, that and my digital 7 and digital retard box should do the trick, I'll have plenty of sparking power, and the ability to retard timing.....
Gary G.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Is a "power grid" able to piggy back my digital 7? Where can I get more info. on it? Search the bullet, or just yahoo?? I do think i'll be buying a progressive controller in the future, that and my digital 7 and digital retard box should do the trick, I'll have plenty of sparking power, and the ability to retard timing.....
Gary G.
Yes...instructions on msdignition.com

The features that you get with the Grid, especially the data aquisition are well worth the $350!!!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Gary G.
Yes. Go to msd's website. It is the controller, the red box not the black one.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I was checking instructions for the 7730 power grid to work with the 7al-3 there is no instructions....ONLY for the 8 plus analog box...

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I saw this power grid box, and it seems intresting. I know the add in jegs/summit says any msd ignition, and if so I may be looking into it real soon. I am running 2stgs with nothing more than a dig 6, dig retard box, and digi-sets.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
i was under the assumption that a powergrid isnt streetable, is that correct?
ie i couldnt take the car to a carshow thats 10 miles away or something like that.
I dont see why it would matter, just something i remeber hearing

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
BadBuik,what you have will work.Just use a Digiset to bring in the 2nd stage.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts