Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a “crazy” idea and wondered if anyone has tried i t. If you ran wastegate with no spring and C02, wouldn’t that give you “infinite control over boost” e.g. 0-???psi. Anyone ever tried it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
i was always told you need atleast some form of spring. It could Probaly work but you would need more co2 pressure. Put a 1.5 pound spring in it and be done

·
The Liquor Makes Me Think
3,124 Posts
I think a spring is needed for valve stability. Just run a smallest one made for the gate you have.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Smallest avail is 5lbs I think. I wanted to be able to take boost to 0 for towing or as the wife gets used to the new power...lol, its her truck. Thanks for the input fellas.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
I wonder if even a light spring dampens the action enough to keep it from hunting. Also I wonder if you ever were stuck with no co2 if it would be annoying having the gate open at idle.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Also, why 0 boost for towing? Your foot will control the boost and power you make. Frankly for a street truck you drive all the time, why have to concern yourself with co2 at all?

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,392 Posts
My Precision gate came with a .9 psi spring. I ran that for a bit, but without the boost controller being armed enough vac would build in the gate that the next cold start would have the wastegate open a little and be a loud exhaust leak. I ended up with a 3 psi spring and that's enough to keep the wastegate seated all the time.

Personally i'd run a spring even if it's the lightest you can find

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Same here, just enough spring to keep gates closed. On a slightly different note I generally recommend running a very light spring on the BOV(s). They sound cool when you step off the gas with a stiff spring in them but if you pedal the car you may crack the throttle back open on a lot more boost than you expect. This is when a lot of cars are damaged and/or wrecked.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I run the gate with no spring, only cow. New Gen wastegate. Never had any issues. Have used as low as 3psi cow for slick tracks.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
It works fine. But the gate will be hung open at all times running when no air is applied

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
For a street vehicle with co2 on 100% of the time to keep it from hanging open at times off throttle (if thats what you do) seems like a waste of co2 when a 5 psi spring cut down some wouldnt be that much power gain anyway and should be plenty controllable

1 - 13 of 13 Posts