Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I recently changed my air filter to a Spectre model 8161. Due to the design of my QuickTime kit I must run a small filter and this was it. So I made the change and out in the Spectre filter.

My wife and I went to a car show and on our way home I noticed the car was making any boost after I made a small pull to pass a car that was well below highway speed. It wouldn't make ANY boost.

So I checked everything from the waste gate to the blow off valve to finally end up at the turbo. I took the turbo off and was sick to see the damage. I looked for the culprit of the damage and found the center section of the filter was now missing. Look for yourself.

I just sent a polite email to Spectre asking them to own up the filter damage. We will see........ Just a bad day the shaft is seized wheel destroyed and a half of quart of oil was poured out of the compressor side. Sigh.......
Just showing my lesson in life.

[URL=http://s16.photobucket.com/user/stpet291/media/image.jpg1_zpskvo0vjki.jpg.html]

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
You put a 10 dollar filter that probably flows less than 25% of what the turbo needs and you ask why the filter got sucked apart. What is that, about a 76mm turbo?. That would need at least 1043.32 CFM at 15 lbs/boost on a 350CI motor. The little boy filter had no chance. Not the filter fault. Poor choice of parts

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
All that crap that just came out of that Mickey Mouse Air Filter just went in and out of your Motor? You good with that? Im not. My motor comes out now!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You put a 10 dollar filter that probably flows less than 25% of what the turbo needs and you ask why the filter got sucked apart. What is that, about a 76mm turbo?. That would need at least 1043.32 CFM at 15 lbs/boost on a 350CI motor. The little boy filter had no chance. Not the filter fault. Poor choice of parts
Actually it was $25...... It actually had more surface area than the KN I took off that was so crunched up that it was partially collapsed because the builder of the turbo put it so close to the core support that I can't fit anything worth a shit in there. According to Spectre the filter should have been fine. Clearly something failed. Glad you some how managed to put it back on me. I was only trying to warn others?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
we had a customer have the exact same thing happen to him with the same filter but the filter had a 12in adapter and 2 elbows before the turbo.i went to the parts store where he got his and there was 9 on the shelf.i was able to push 7 of the 9 stainless centers out of the filters with my finger with little to no resistance.not good

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Wow not good. I have the same filter on my turbo. Maybe Ill take off the filter before that happens to me. What filters are are used for turbos and can take that amount of abuse?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Just because it has more surface area than a K&N, does not mean it flows as well unfortunately. If you have a $25 filter and a $90 filter......good chance there is quality difference. Filters are often overlooked and can cause major problems ( we see it all the time ) Remember that air filters are just like anything else......you have good, better, and best. You get what you pay for. Unfortunately you found out the hard way. But on the positive side, like you said people now know if they did not before to stay away from that brand. We alway recommend K&N, S&B, AFE, and AirRaid.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Wow not good. I have the same filter on my turbo. Maybe Ill take off the filter before that happens to me. What filters are are used for turbos and can take that amount of abuse?
AFE filters . We have tried and tested many filters and they are the only ones we were happy with. Some people may have tested and used some others with luck as well but that was our findings.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.