Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this does not make sense but I think it does. Can I turn Eagle 4340 Rods with ARP 2000 Rod Bolts 8200+ rpms? I have a sbf turbo street car, looking a good set of rods. Camshaft goes upto 7600-8200 rpms. Will shift before that but just asking. Thought about Callies Dragonslayer 4340 Crank with Oliver Billet Rods for comfort though but heard it is too much for what I am doing.

Thoughts????

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Lots of factors effect the rod, balance, piston, pin. I ran a stock rod( with some work and ARP bolts) to 8000 for years in a 302. Had a probe piston on it as well.

Right now I have a 363 with scat forged rods and ARP 2000 bolts. Ran it to 8000 once. Didn't have any benifit so I never went there again.

Not an expert like a lot of people here, but why not build with room to grow?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of factors effect the rod, balance, piston, pin. I ran a stock rod( with some work and ARP bolts) to 8000 for years in a 302. Had a probe piston on it as well.

Right now I have a 363 with scat forged rods and ARP 2000 bolts. Ran it to 8000 once. Didn't have any benifit so I never went there again.

Not an expert like a lot of people here, but why not build with room to grow?
I am thinking about just doing a 427sbf with Callies Dragonslayer crank and Oliver billet rods. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The big bore 347 is 3.250 stroke 5.4 Rod 4.125 bore. It's a big bore small stroke motor.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,613 Posts
Maybe this does not make sense but I think it does. Can I turn Eagle 4340 Rods with ARP 2000 Rod Bolts 8200+ rpms? I have a sbf turbo street car, looking a good set of rods. Camshaft goes upto 7600-8200 rpms. Will shift before that but just asking. Thought about Callies Dragonslayer 4340 Crank with Oliver Billet Rods for comfort though but heard it is too much for what I am doing.

Thoughts????
That is almost what I am running in my 421 SBC, spinning to 8200 in the traps, shifting at 8000. I have a Callies Dragnslayer (stupid ass name!) with Oliver Speedway rods. Never heard of down-grading to Eagle stuff from Olivers, that seems crazy! I am running a fairly heavy Diamond piston but the wrist pin is not the same heavy-ass pin I was using in the nitrous days. I know the shop was surprised by my bob weight when I dropped off the crank to get balanced. I would have to dig-around to find the weights, but was an easy 200 grams more than the typical 421 SBC.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Only Issue I have seen with eagle parts is sometimes the crank journals are not round. Have assembled about 15 engines with eagle rods with arp 2k bolts and no probs. Granted this has been on sbc's in circle track applications. IMO piston weight and rod ratio are going to play the biggest factors. From what I have seen a rod will usually fail on the down/fill charge stroke. That is where the cap/bolts are under a shit ton of stress. I would think being boosted it would help that.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
What ever you do dont skimp on the wrist pins and rod bolts and you should be fine, do you have heads that will make power to 8000rpm with that engine capacity?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is almost what I am running in my 421 SBC, spinning to 8200 in the traps, shifting at 8000. I have a Callies Dragnslayer (stupid ass name!) with Oliver Speedway rods. Never heard of down-grading to Eagle stuff from Olivers, that seems crazy! I am running a fairly heavy Diamond piston but the wrist pin is not the same heavy-ass pin I was using in the nitrous days. I know the shop was surprised by my bob weight when I dropped off the crank to get balanced. I would have to dig-around to find the weights, but was an easy 200 grams more than the typical 421 SBC.
Nice!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What ever you do dont skimp on the wrist pins and rod bolts and you should be fine, do you have heads that will make power to 8000rpm with that engine capacity?
That's for the pointer. No I don't have the heads yet but my plan is the use the AFR 220 sbf heads or the TFS 225 CNC Heads. What do you'll think?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
That's for the pointer. No I don't have the heads yet but my plan is the use the AFR 220 sbf heads or the TFS 225 CNC Heads. What do you'll think?
I dont know which heads your going to go with but you will need roughly a Cross Sectional Area of 3.1 Square Inches for 8000rpm and a manifold to match the heads. So start doing you homework on which head and manifold your going to go with, hope someone like Curtis from Race Flow Developments chimes in. It is very critical if you want to make power talk to a pro head guy before you spend your money on the wrong heads! .;)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Before you buy a cam get a reputable cam guy to turbo spec it but you will need all your specs on the heads and engine combo then you can get the right valve spring to suit.:)

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I would keep the bolts and throw those rods in the trash!!!!!
Rpm wise 42-54 rpm and I don't mean 4200.I would quit racing before I would start a engine with those rods.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
lol so many guys run them and without issues ,even seen a local guy with a twin turbo 80 mm each on a sbc ,seen inside engine and was shocked to see eagle crank and rods....6 years now no failures just replaced this year with same components shifts at 8000 rpm car runs 7.70s in quarter

·
Registered
25,667 Posts
lol so many guys run them and without issues ,even seen a local guy with a twin turbo 80 mm each on a sbc ,seen inside engine and was shocked to see eagle crank and rods....6 years now no failures just replaced this year with same components shifts at 8000 rpm car runs 7.70s in quarter
The exception to the parts involved.:cool:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Eagle gets a bad rap because of their price. Just had an issue with a Callies rod(NOT a Compstar). Had to send the rod back and get it replaced.oil hole in the wrong spot and too wide. People say that they see more Eagle stuff fail, this is primarily because they sell the most parts

1 - 20 of 29 Posts