Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a thousand oil threads out there but I’m having trouble finding much info on LAT and specifically comparing it to Royal Purple XPR. Any info is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,242 Posts
Don't know about the Royal Purple but LAT is the only fluid I can run without lighting the car on fire. It's pricey but it is the only thing that works in my junk. This is for the transmission fluid

·
Registered
363 Posts
Royal Purple XPR isn't anything special. It has a similar additive package as the RP HPS with some more complex base oils. It's a good oil, but there's better oils for the money. RP took a bit of a dive after they were bought by Calumet. Much of the uniqueness was stripped away to gain API approvals and get it on Walmart shelves. They cut production cost way down, but kept the same price on the shelf. The basic Royal Purple oil is fornulated identical to Valvoline advanced synthetic but at about 60% more expensive. You're just paying for the name and some purple dye. Maximum profit.

LAT uses all PAO base oils, notably trimer structure which provides better high heat protection. As far as the additive package, I have no idea. I have a bottle of LAT synthetic racing 5w-30 sitting here. I'll get a sample of it sent out for analysis and post the results here. It may take a couple weeks though.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Isn't Amsoil PAO also? I used to sell it years ago. Then I got hooked up with Synergyn. Roundy guys really liked it. One shop would buy it by the drum.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Isn't Amsoil PAO also? I used to sell it years ago. Then I got hooked up with Synergyn. Roundy guys really liked it. One shop would buy it by the drum.
Their Signature Series and Dominator series are primarily PAO based. The XL, OE, and Z-Rod brands are not. The Z-Rod and XL oils contain some PAO but not enough to be considered the primary base oil. The OE line contains no PAO at all.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just an update. The lab has the LAT oil sample. They're delayed because of the holiday. I should have the results by about Tuesday.

As far as the initial impressions of it... it looks like Nyquil and stinks like paint thinner.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Subscribed.

Polyaphaolefin
Not asked by original poster, but also interested in your opinions about Lucas race only oil? PM me directly if you don't want to post it here and muck up the thread. I appreciate it.
Mike

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Subscribed.

Polyaphaolefin
Not asked by original poster, but also interested in your opinions about Lucas race only oil? PM me directly if you don't want to post it here and muck up the thread. I appreciate it.
Mike
Post here about that oil too please. I’ve ran that oil before and would be interested on what info anyone has about it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I see Driven is blending a new oil called GP1 and it’s using Pennsylvania base oil like the old bradpenn
Should be a great product possibly better than some cheaper synthetics

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Which (part number) oil is Driven doing this with? Or is it all of their products?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Subscribed.

Polyaphaolefin
Mike
Post here about that oil too please. I’ve ran that oil before and would be interested on what info anyone has about it.
I did an A-B-A test with Lucas Race Only oil vs Valvoline VR1 in a 347 SBF. I wasn't very impressed with it. It got the job done, but showed higher iron wear. I also wasn't impressed with the volatility. (higher oil consumption) The engine did run smooth and quiet on it though.

Lucas products in general are a bit lackluster for the price. They rely on their massive marketing to sell their products knowing that 99% of their customers won't run virgin and used analysis on their oil, much less compare it to other oils.

I see Driven is blending a new oil called GP1 and it’s using Pennsylvania base oil like the old bradpenn
Should be a great product possibly better than some cheaper synthetics
Which (part number) oil is Driven doing this with? Or is it all of their products?
The GP-1 oil is the only Driven oil using Pennsylvania crude. It's a semi-synthetic oil with a rather high pressure-viscosity coefficient (film strength), high ZDDP (~1400 ppm Zn, ~1250 ppm P), and a good bit of trimer MoDTC friction reducer (~400 ppm). It has excellent solubility and miscibility at low temperatures. This all comes at the trade-off of lower oxidative stability, requiring a shorter oil change interval, and less thermal stability, can't handle high heat very well.

I've been in close contact with Lake throughout the R&D of that oil. I've got a sample of it, and I really like it. It goes old school with a modern twist. It's a great fit for a street cruiser with a flat tappet cam, solid roller cams exceeding 600 lbs spring pressure, and drag racing engines that don't exceed 240*F oil pan temperature. You would not want to use it in a Late Model Modified running sustained >280*F oil temps, for example.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Royal Purple XPR isn't anything special. It has a similar additive package as the RP HPS with some more complex base oils. It's a good oil, but there's better oils for the money. RP took a bit of a dive after they were bought by Calumet. Much of the uniqueness was stripped away to gain API approvals and get it on Walmart shelves. They cut production cost way down, but kept the same price on the shelf. The basic Royal Purple oil is fornulated identical to Valvoline advanced synthetic but at about 60% more expensive. You're just paying for the name and some purple dye. Maximum profit.

LAT uses all PAO base oils, notably trimer structure which provides better high heat protection. As far as the additive package, I have no idea. I have a bottle of LAT synthetic racing 5w-30 sitting here. I'll get a sample of it sent out for analysis and post the results here. It may take a couple weeks though.
I've had really good luck with the Royal Purple XPR 1021 - 5W30 in my 900+ HP SBC (950+ psi valve springs open pressure ~.860"+ lift and run Q16 fuel). Both from a protection and corrosion perspective. We can have some very drastic temp. changes in a short period of time that makes corrosion due to condensation problematic, not to mention the Q16. I do drain the Q16 at the track though and fog the engine after returning from the track. I keep storage fuel in the cell (2.5 gallons of C12 with 4-6 oz of MMO). I start the car every couple of weeks with the storage fuel every if not running it. The RP has done well enough for me that it makes it difficult to want to switch. Have thought about trying LAT, but haven't yet. Have heard some folks have issues with corrosion with it, and again with my environment corrosion protection is important to me.

We also have ambient temps. in the high 90's low 100's in the evenings during the summer (July-August), so high temp. protection is also a concern for me.

In addition, I was involved in some RP diesel oil testing on 3000+ HP diesel engines. The RP did significantly better in real world -40 deg. F cold start testing as well as cold cell sliding surface lab tests. This was pre-Calumet though. I will say, my old 2003 Cummins runs noticeably smoother and quieter on the RP diesel oil than Chevron, Rotella, or Valvoline.

Jason G.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I've had really good luck with the Royal Purple XPR 1021 - 5W30 in my 900+ HP SBC (950+ psi valve springs open pressure ~.860"+ lift and run Q16 fuel). Both from a protection and corrosion perspective. We can have some very drastic temp. changes in a short period of time that makes corrosion due to condensation problematic, not to mention the Q16. I do drain the Q16 at the track though and fog the engine after returning from the track. I keep storage fuel in the cell (2.5 gallons of C12 with 4-6 oz of MMO). I start the car every couple of weeks with the storage fuel every if not running it. The RP has done well enough for me that it makes it difficult to want to switch. Have thought about trying LAT, but haven't yet. Have heard some folks have issues with corrosion with it, and again with my environment corrosion protection is important to me.

We also have ambient temps. in the high 90's low 100's in the evenings during the summer (July-August), so high temp. protection is also a concern for me.

In addition, I was involved in some RP diesel oil testing on 3000+ HP diesel engines. The RP did significantly better in real world -40 deg. F cold start testing as well as cold cell sliding surface lab tests. This was pre-Calumet though. I will say, my old 2003 Cummins runs noticeably smoother and quieter on the RP diesel oil than Chevron, Rotella, or Valvoline.

Jason G.
Forgot to mention, when I dumped the conventional Driven BR30 on the dyno after break-in (actually 20+ pulls), the RP XPR was consistently 8-11 HP better over multiple pulls.

Have also seen the RP compressor oil drop compressor temps. 20+ degrees in TX summers vs. the conventional oil it replaced. This was a VERY large industrial fabrication shop with VERY high air consumption. This was pre-Calumet too though.

Jason G.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't know much about Maxima. Here's a virgin analysis of High Performance Lubricants Bad Ass Racing 5w-30. It's primarily trimer PAO base oil.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I don't know much about Maxima. Here's a virgin analysis of High Performance Lubricants Bad Ass Racing 5w-30. It's primarily trimer PAO base oil.

That looks low on zinc and phosorous for a racing oil.
And high in calcium
Is calcium mostly a detergent? And does high readings have any negative impacts on a racing oil?
Cheers

·
Registered
363 Posts
That looks low on zinc and phosorous for a racing oil.
And high in calcium
Is calcium mostly a detergent? And does high readings have any negative impacts on a racing oil?
Cheers
It's designed to maximize friction reduction over wear protection. It's good for a hydraulic roller motor or mild solid roller with <600 lbs spring pressure. It's not ideal for flat tappet cams or high intensity solid roller cams.

The ZDDP is on the low side, but it's a more reactive type of ZDDP than usual (short-chained secondary alkyl groups) which allows it to start working at a lower temperature. The ZDDP to calcium ratio is quite a bit off. Calcium is a detergent that comes from calcium sulfonate which is a carrier for calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate is chalk and also sold OTC as heartburn medicine under the name Tums. The same way it neutralizes acids in your stomach that cause heartburn, it neutralizes acids in the oil to prevent them from breaking down the oil. The problem with calcium is it has high surface affinity so it tends to compete with ZDDP for the boundary layer on parts.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I got the results for the LAT Synthetic Racing 5w-30. It has a good bit of moly friction reducer with a nice dose of ZDDP. The base oil is group IV PAO synthetic with about 8% polyol ester. This would make a great racing oil.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts