Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned...Four Times
40,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my son goes in for a routine surgery today, ear tubes and adenoid removal. Why did I not feel like this was routine. I mean you hand over your kid, your flesh and blood, over to someone who makes their living cutting people up. The surgery went fine and he is completely Ok but damn it I have not this scared since the last time the same child had a surgery, also a routine hernia surgery. It makes me feel lucky that he doesn't have some horrible disease that he has lengthy procedures and the outcome is far more uncertain but am I out of line line being scared shitless and keeping a brave face so he isn't scared? Just a little background he and his brother were twins and born at 32 weeks, they spent two months in a NICU and there were times when their futures were not certain. They are normal healthy boys now and they are the reason I wake up every day. I felt so helpless and not in control both times he has had surgery. Is that a normal feeling or am I just a fucking wuss. Thanks for letting me vent a little, if my wife knew I was as scared as I was she would have freaked out. Being the strong one sucks sometimes I guess.

·
Grade 8 Motorsports
4,617 Posts
I'm not a parent, but I can imagine having a young child go through any surgery would be a bit difficult. And working in the medical field, I know that even routine surgeries have their own quirks, and not everything always goes to plan. Keep being the strong one... it's been working! ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
No kids here either but I don't even like a pet to get surgery can't imagine it being a kid of mine. I doubt age matters at all as love isn't tied to it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes it is normal. The fact that you can not help them is why you have this feeling of dread in the back of your mind. Atleast the surgery went well and no surgery is ever routine as they say.

·
SPEL CHECK
3,612 Posts
So my son goes in for a routine surgery today, ear tubes and adenoid removal. Why did I not feel like this was routine. I mean you hand over your kid, your flesh and blood, over to someone who makes their living cutting people up. The surgery went fine and he is completely Ok but damn it I have not this scared since the last time the same child had a surgery, also a routine hernia surgery. It makes me feel lucky that he doesn't have some horrible disease that he has lengthy procedures and the outcome is far more uncertain but am I out of line line being scared shitless and keeping a brave face so he isn't scared? Just a little background he and his brother were twins and born at 32 weeks, they spent two months in a NICU and there were times when their futures were not certain. They are normal healthy boys now and they are the reason I wake up every day. I felt so helpless and not in control both times he has had surgery. Is that a normal feeling or am I just a fucking wuss. Thanks for letting me vent a little, if my wife knew I was as scared as I was she would have freaked out. Being the strong one sucks sometimes I guess.
its because you love & care for your family . keep being strong for for all of them. you sound like a cool dad way to go !

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yep,you're a wuss just like the rest of us dads...Get used to it and be dam sure the wife still knows that you are the strong one. If your feeling this way is being the strong one,how do you think she is feeling?
And yes,I'm the same way with my kids,even with our dogs and cats.... DAMMITT!!!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Understand your thoughts and fears. I think they meant by Routine that it is something that is done thousands of times a year so it becomes second nature for the surgeon. That generally should allow you to have more confidence in the surgeon.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Define routine? Space shuttle launches were routine but sometimes bad things happen. No surgery is routine to me. I say they are common and done frequently but never routine. Nobody wants to be a statistic and that was always my fear. I think humans fear for the things they love anytime something unusual is going on. First haircut, first day at school, just all part of caring for someone.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Yes, it's normal. I felt the same way when my son had tubes. It's scary, but you put on a brave face for them and pray that everything works out o.k.

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
Yea, you're a wuss!...
But that is in fact, routine and totally normal!...

Welcome to parenthood!... :yawinkle:

·
Registered
230 Posts
The toughest part for me, when my 3.5yr old broke & dislocated her elbow, wasn't the fact that she was having the surgery. It was the fact that my wife & I couldn't go back there with her. So here she is being pushed to the surgery room & then waking up in recovery to complete strangers. She was a big girl though. Never cried the first time. If you weren't scared to death or nervous then you wouldn't be much of a father to speak of. Sounds like your kids are blessed with a good dad!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
My daughter has had 7 surgeries, but I felt the same way as you on every one of them, helpless. It sucks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts