Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of going away from the LS stuff and getting a big block chevy together. Thinking around 540ci and would run twin 76s or 80s. Dont really have a power goal, just want a high 7 second time slip. The car is mainly going to be a street car, so I would rather it light off on the street quick instead of waiting for a bunch of RPM to spool. Wondering what I should do rotating assembly wise. Figured id get the 9.8 M block, or go with a 10.2? Would like to do Holley EFI and run on pump gas for the street. Would I be good with like Callies Compstar rods and crank? And what head would be good for an application like this? And where is the go to place to get BBC parts/knowledge?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I have this combo. I built mine for 2200-2400 hp worth. Im using lunati/kellogg american forged crank, oliver bbc max rods and dart big m. Mines a tall deck with 6.635 rods only because i got a deal on a used bracket car motor that was a tall deck. I reused the block, pan, lifters, and timing cover.

Depending on your weight a high 7 wont need alot of power. Compstar internals should handle alot in a bbc. I made 1400 flywheel on a sbc with compstar stuff. 8.1-8.2 sec at 3750 lbs

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its going to go in a 25.4 67 caprice. 4 link, can run a big tire but will mainly be on a 315. I would think around 3300-3400lbs all said and done. Guessing in the 1500-1800hp range would be where I would want to be. I guess if I end up closer to a 7.5x then id be fine with that haha.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Yeah i would think that be easy on compstar stuff. Maybe even check out tom molnars stuff.

Twin s475’s would do it. And be cheap. If you can do the smaller housing and mid size turbo i think it would spool faster on the street for you. I have the 80’s with the 96 turbine and 1.32 t6’s and spool is nice but a touch slower than i’d like for a street car. But mine are also mid mounted several feet from engine. Front mounted it would be better. The 1.15 housing be even better

All depends on your budget. Overbuild it and never have to worry. Good crank and rods like olivers or callies ultra probably be safer bet to max out the turbos someday

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would rather just overbuild but dont want to be dumping 15k into a long block. What stroke and CR and big block turbo people going with? Was thinking 4.5" stroke and around 10:1.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Most i see dont go over 4.25. No need to go larger for your goals. 540 is proven to near 4000 hp. I went 4.25. Comp depends on your fuel but i went 10:1 and will be on mostly e85. Sometimes pump 93.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, looks like a 4.5 in a 9.8 block is kinda a pain anyways. I do have E85 pretty readily available around me, but would prefer to run pump gas. Have ran E85, but on a carb and every single tank was different. Took me 3/4 of the tank to get the carb adjusted where I wanted and then had to restart again. Maybe with EFI its much better though, not sure.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
-Dart Big M 9.8 block/ 540ci
-4.25" forged crank Scat, Molnar or Callies Compstar.
-6.385" rods; Howards, Molnar PWR adder or Oliver.
-4.50" forged pistons of your choice, right around 9.5cr/ also a decent set of pins is not a bad idea either.
-76mm BW or a 76mm VS Racing with T4's on the hot sides would be where I would go.

And if you want to save money in the long run go Holley EFI right off the bat; but off course there is nothing wrong with blow thru (CSU) and a good wide band if you don't care about data logging capabilities or getting fuel on your hands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts